Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Report on linked issues

Terry Zhang November 19, 2021

We have a Jira Service Management Project A which collect customer tickets. If we cannot resolve a ticket in Project A, we escalate by creating a ticket in Jira Software Project B, then link both tickets together.

We would like to create a report on "Number of tickets in Project A got escalated to Project B in a month". This seems cannot be done by default. It seems some plug in Apps can report on linked issues, but I am not sure if they can create summary on total count of linked issue as we need.

I will be appreciated if you can point me to the right direction or give me some idea. Thanks.

3 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Avinash Bhagawati _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2021

Hi @Terry Zhang ,

Can you please confirm whether creation of ticket in project B is manual process or it is created as part transition post function.

we escalate by creating a ticket in Jira Software Project B, then link both tickets together.

Additionally, other approach is create a single select field called Escalation ( with Yes or No values ) and add this field in transition screen of Done/Closed transition of project A workflow. Also add field required validator with this field so that users will fill Yes or No while closing the project A.

With this approach, you can simply run jql like Escalation = "Yes" AND created >= -1m to get the list of escalated tickets.

Thanks,
Avinash

It's a manual process.

Oh, yes, that's a great idea, we will look into that. Thanks.

Thanks, I think this approach will work. I have created the custom field Escalation. But I would like to setup automation rule to set Escalation = "Yes". Since it's possible for a ticket in Project A to link to tickets in the same project or other projects. I need to test the link is between tickets in Project A and B. How do I determine the project with JQL?

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2021

@Terry Zhang -

For those issues (in project A) escalated, do you have any other metadata tag for those issues (i.e. in a specific WF status etc..)? uniquely identified them.  If so, you can construct a JQL search and include the "Linked Issue" field in the result output to pull those issues in project A.

I believe this will be the easiest route without any add-on.

Hope this helps. 

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Not sure I completely understand, but in Project A, if a ticket has a linked ticket in Project B, we can see the status (Open/In Progress and so on) of the linked ticket. Is that what you were referring to?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

@Terry Zhang -

I am referring to your issues in your JSM project and not the issues created in your Jira software project.

Best, Joseph

Yes, the issues in the JSM project has workflow status like Open and Closed. I also tried the LinkedIssue field, but it contains the issue key, I am not sure how I can use that to query on all linked issues from the same Jira software project. Thanks.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

Conduct your query to pull from your JSM project and obtain the results of issues that have linked issues field, then export it to CSV for further analysis.

In our env, we handle escalation of JSM issues by tagging the issues with some custom fields (where agent/process creates Jira Software project issues - i.e. tech team project, then link it back to the JSM issues).  

This allows us to create queue that can show all the JSM issues (escalated) in the JSM project for reporting.  We also have filter query pulling the same information + CSV export for further reporting as needed.

The key thing is that you need to have someway where you can tagged those JSM escalated issues in question, thus you can identify them and not just rely on issue links information.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

OK, this require us to export data and process with external tools. We were thinking about to accomplish this within Jira. But we will look into this approach. Thanks.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 19, 2021

@Terry Zhang -

You don't need to export the data to CSV if you create a queue in your JSD project after you have implemented some process (i.e. via custom field) where you tagged all the JSD issues where they are escalated.

Afterward, you can report against the JSD queue.

Hope this helps.  Also @Avinash Bhagawati _Appfire_ made a great solution for tagging the JSD issues.

Best, Joseph

Thanks

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2021

@Terry Zhang -

Good to know that your issue is answered by us.  Please click on "Answer accepted" on my response if you have time too.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Daniel Turczanski - __JQL Search Extensions
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 29, 2021

Hi @Terry Zhang,

You could get the report with JQL. With standard JQL, you can only get a list of issues with links and export them to Excel for further processing. This works if you want to do a one-off analysis.

Standard JQL doesn't easily allow it, but you can find the results quickly using our professional indexing service:

After you install the app, you can simply search:

project=A AND issue in linkedIssuesOfQuery("project=B and created > -30d")

Check out the documentation to see more examples.

I hope this helps!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events