Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replies to jira@company.atlassian.net bounce back

Jonathan Robles November 10, 2021

Any ideas why when you reply to jira@company.atlassian.net we get a bounce back saying

"This message could not be delivered."

from bounce@atlassian.net

1 answer

1 vote
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2021

Hi @Jonathan Robles and welcome to the community,

This kind of email, most likely is used to send notifications and not to reply to it. I don't think there is a handler behind it. What exactly you want to achieve by replying to this email?

Jonathan Robles November 10, 2021

Correct. We migrated to Jira Cloud instance. And we get notification emails from jira@company.atlassian.net with no problems. But when the service desk team replies to a notification, we get the bounce back message.

I am just using company.atlassian.net on this article for privacy purposes.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2021

A JSM project has a dedicated email when you create (and if you have enable the email requests). Can you please confirm that in your JSM project this is the dedicated email? You may see that by going to project settings > email requests. There you should be able to see a screen like the following one:

default email handler.png

This will be your incoming mail handler for all your JSM email request. Do not confuse this email with the email that all Jira users are receiving notifications. Totally different thing. Hope I make myself clear.

Jonathan Robles November 11, 2021

Understood. I just want clarification that users need to reply to the email handler in order to update a ticket. Correct?

I will need to change this in the Project Settings > Summary > Notifications > Update the email to the email handler mailbox instead of the default one.

2021-11-11_075849.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2021

Changing the Notifications email from will only change the sender email from which notifications will be sent. (Jira) users can't reply to these emails as they are used only for notifications.

Instead, if you want your customers and Jira users to reply to an email and to update tickets, then you must see the email I said in my previous comment. This is the handler you are after.

Jonathan Robles November 11, 2021

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your update.

But the default email notifications come from jira@company.atlassian.net

The Project Setting email account is to pull emails and create tickets from them. Not to send emails from that address.

I just want to make sure that Jira does not automatically append the REPLY-TO header to that of your project email pull address.

Which is why I uploaded the picture above for confirmation. 

This link to another ticket says that the work around is as I describe it;

Please note that if you’re using a custom email handler to process Jira Service Desk tickets, you’ll have to follow this documentation in order to use your domain to send Jira notifications.

1. Go to your Jira Service Desk Project and click on Project settings.

2. On the left panel, look for Summary.

3. Scroll down until you see the Notifications section.

4. Click on the pencil icon and edit the email address, replacing it with the one by the email handler (find it on the Email requests section)

That should be all. I hope this helps you!

Cheers
Paulo Junior - Atlassian Cloud Support

pkistler November 7, 2023

Is this still valid as i can't see a pencil icon as shown on the picture above and thus i can't change that address to the collecting email address. i always get a bounce email from bounce@atlassian.net which says "This message could not be delivered." but the commented finally is added to the ticket...

thx for help...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events