Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing a Custom Issue Type

Elif Alverson March 7, 2023

Hello, 

I would like to remove a custom issue type from a project's issue type scheme so that users no longer create this issue type. However I do not want to loose the existing issues with this type. Is there a way to accomplish that?

Thank you.

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Aditya Verma
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2023

Hi @Elif Alverson ,

You would need to move the issues to some other issue type and then you will be able to remove the issue type from your project's issue type scheme.

Thanks,
Aditya

@Aditya Verma , that is what I thought but I just want to check and see if there is a way to keep the existing tickets with the same issue type without moving them to another one. Thanks.

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2023

@Elif Alverson -

Just like others mentioned that an issue type cannot be removed from a project once it is already in used unless you convert those existing issues to another issue type in your project first.  Afterward, you can remove the issue type from your project's issue type scheme configuration.

The key thing will be training for your JSM project agent to avoid using the outdated custom issue type via the Project UI's Create button.  One other approach is by renaming the issue type name something like "xxxx (invalid issue type)" to make it standout from the issue type dropdown.

Hope this also helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

1 vote
Marc Kraak March 7, 2023

Customer portal users? Then just hide it in Portal groups by unchecking all options

Project settings -> Request types -> . . . -> Edit Portal Groups

Good luck!

Marc

@Marc Kraak , thank you for your response. I already did that part. I would like to remove it from JSM Create issue --> Issue Type drop down as well.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events