Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relation between Jira Service Management Cloud Projects and Insight

Tom E_ Christensen January 26, 2021

I have used Jira Service Management Cloud for a while now and we have defined several projects where one project is the equivalent of one customer.

We started  testing Insight a few days ago and the main goal/purpose is to find out if we can achieve the following:

• Create an Object Schema representing the master CMDB, then
  • Copy/clone the master CMDB into a new instance of Object Schema (CMDB - A) that will be used by Jira Service Management Project A (Customer A), then
  • Copy/clone one more time the master CMDB into a new instance of Object Schema that will be used by Jira Service Management Project B (Customer B), and so on......

I tried to find information (also on the Mindville site) if there are features in the Insight App making this possible, but with no success and this is maybe the reason and answer to my request/question :)

Would appreciate if someone could eventually point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Tom

2 answers

0 votes
David Sumlin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 28, 2021

Since there's no way to restrict visibility of objects by customer (or any other attribute) within a schema, there's no other good way to do what Tom is asking for except to copy/clone a master schema template to new schemas.

You bring up a good point of maintenance between those schemas (e.g. just the simple act of adding an attribute could be time consuming), but you also get the flexibility/curse of each schema being able to be customized for each customer.

If there truly is a need to manage those schemas en masse, I would suggest making modifications via script & API vs the UI.

This would also be how I'd suggest create a new schema per customer. Run a script which has all of the necessary API calls using customer specific parameters. (e.g. create schema CMDB - Customer A)

0 votes
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2021

Hi @Tom E_ Christensen ,

I didn't find this functionality (copy object scheme) in cloud version. But it is possible in the server version, so I strongly believe these kind of functionalities sooner or later will be available also in cloud.

Is there any chance, that if you provide me more information about your use case, we will find out you can use one object scheme for all of your customers :-)? What is the main reason you want separate databases? Thank you!

Tom E_ Christensen January 27, 2021

Hi @Hana Kučerová and for your prompt feedback and answers.

I really hope the "copy object schema" will be available on the cloud platform soon :)

The main reason is keeping data/information (asset, employee information) from several customers separated in different logical databases (Object Schemas).

When we store employee information in a HR Object Schema, we would never be allowed to share/store this kind of information in the "same" Object Schema instance across customers. This is due to a high risk of not being compliant to GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation).

Another use case is having different attributes on the same Object Type (i.e. Laptop) for different kind of customers.

The "segregation" of different customers is one of our biggest concerns and we would really appreciate if that could be possible in Jira Insight.

Thanks,

Tom

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 28, 2021

Hi @Tom E_ Christensen ,

thank you for the clarification!

My biggest concern was it will be time consuming to propagate changes to all the object schemes, if you have many of them and they should be the same. But it is not your use case.

Maybe the concept of inheriting of object type attributes from parent will be interesting for you, if you need to do some sort of attribute sharing and would be handy to have some things consistent.

You can create general object type like Laptop with some basic attributes. And then for each customer create another object type, which will inherit from the general one. You still will be able to add some custom attributes for each customer. What is also nice - you can set different permissions for each of the object types.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events