Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing the number of priorities

Chris Stival September 18, 2022

Currently we have 12 priorities in our domain. My plan is to lower the number to 4, which is a cleaner experience for agents, and matches our company SLA levels.

As this will affect both service and software projects, and we have over 100 in total, I'm expecting such a change to have a wide-reaching impact (and a ton of busy work) and I'm curious to know if anyone here has done this in the past.

What I'm wondering about is will there be a need for me to sit there with a wizard choosing where the old priorities should be mapped. This reminds me of when I migrated other cloud projects into our domain...so much mapping. 

2 answers

2 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2022

Hi @Chris Stival , 

This can be done via a bulk operation, but yes, the mapping between the old priority value and the new priority value is required.

Before doing this in the tool itself, can you agree with the business on the mapping? I suppose you don't need approval from each project lead?

Chris Stival September 19, 2022

Hi Dave,

I'm approaching it from the top-down...so I won't have to deal with the manager of every project. Once I get their higher-ups on board, I'm good to go. 

I have a feeling that once I get started, it'll take quite a while. My guess is that it could take the better part of an hour...even after I get into a rhythm. 

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2022

True, it will take some time depending on the number issue. Please also note that bulk operations are limited to 1,000 issues at a time which means that you'll have to restrict your filter to maximum 1,000 issues.

That's a good note Dave...thanks for that.

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 19, 2022

@Chris Stival -

To supplement what @Dave Mathijs mentioned, here are another good suggestion provided by one other Community Leaders ( @Jack Brickey ) for your consideration since the #of issues limitation in the Cloud env -

Extracted from Jack's posting back in 2021 OOTB options -

1- You can do it in batches:

• run your JQL
  • edit your issues (1000) and add a unique label as part of the edit (“BE-complete”)
  • re-run the JQL but add …”AND labels != “BE-complete”
  • repeat the edit operation including the label
  • repeat to end

2- you can use CSV import

• there are a number of posts out there about how to update issues using CSV import but basically you do an export of the issues which will include the issue ID. Then you simply include that column in your import and also include the fields you want to update.

Lastly, I would also recommend you to contact Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com) for update on if Cloud env would provide the same ability for one to override the 1000 issues limitation.

PS>  Jack's suggestion is excellent.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Thanks Joseph! This is also very helpful. I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events