Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-trigger JSM Customer Notification

Mathew Lederman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2023

I'm trying to send daily reminders to managers or teams who have pending approvals, but in order to do so I need to use the ${request.details} variable which is only available in the Customer Notifications. Unfortunately we have 30+ request types each of which significantly different custom fields, so the alternative would be to create automation specific to each request type.

My current thought is to create an automation that removes the approvers and re-adds them then loop the transition which, in my testing, successfully kicks off the customer notification. However, when I tried to apply this to a larger group, the approvers were removed and never re-added.

The account running the automation is an admin in the project and a full Jira Administrator, so I dont believe the issue is permissions-based.

Below is the fairly simple automation. "RQM - List of Approvers Level 1" is the custom field name that the workflow uses for approval when the request is in "Approval Level 1" status. The trigger, 2nd, 4th, and 5th steps all work just fine. It's the 3rd step to re-add approvers that is causing problems.

image.png

This is the first step that removes the approvers from the field. This works just fine.

image.png

This step should re-add the approvers from the Trigger issue (or current issue) and works in my testing, but doesn't work in practice.

image.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kris Dewachter
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 1, 2023

Hi @Mathew Lederman ,

If I understand correctly, in the first step, you remove the "list of approvers level 1".

And in the second step, you re-add them ?

Where is the value with the list of approvers coming from ? Do you copy it from the original issue? Which you just removed ?

Maybe you should save the value in a variable first, so you can use this variable to re-add the approvers.

I'm not sure why you select this method for resending the approval notifications. You mention each request type uses different fields. Do you currently have an automation rule that sends out a different approval notification for each request type ?

Best regards,

Kris

Mathew Lederman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2023

Kris,

You're correct, in the first step I'm emptying the approvers. And in the second step I'm re-adding from the trigger issue. This works perfectly in my testing, but does not in production-use. I will look into using an temporary custom field to store the value before clearing.

As for the 'why' the problem lies in the available variables.

I had one automation reminder would send an email to all managers with their respective requests to approve. As they can be for all different type of requests (New User, Active Directory Changes, DL Adds, etc) I had a small set of fields that sent in the reminder. Unfortunately managers complained that the small set of common fields was not sufficient detail to approve the request via email.

The original email that is sent through Customer Notifications does have all of the details through the $(request.details) variable, so my remove/re-add automation is an attempt to re-trigger the Customer Notification.

Mathew Lederman
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2023

Copying the value to a new custom field worked. Thanks for the suggestion, I was really struggling with this one.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events