Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting inline attachments and images in descriptions while using forms?

bryan.baumann May 30, 2023

I work in a Triage team and I am putting together a JSM project for us. I feel like its missing some of the functionality in other Jira projects. 

When putting in Jira tickets we were able to put images and attachments inline in the description. This is very useful. 

When I built out a request for using fields, this seems to not be an option. There is a paragraph field in forms but it is words only. Am I missing something here?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2023

Hi @bryan.baumann,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

JSM has two different forms, request forms and Forms (formerly known as ProForma forms). Based on your description you are using Forms as your intake. Currently Forms do not support rich text fields. So you should look at using the request form as your intake since that has the regular description field that you are used to which allows you to add inline images and attachments.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2023

You can find the request form if you go to Project settings > Request types and select one of the requests that you have configured.

bryan.baumann May 31, 2023

Thank you, that was very helpful. That seems like a very nice thing to get added. 

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this
bryan.baumann June 5, 2023

@Mikael Sandberg I was doing some tested, it seems that when I am using the portal to put in requests it doesn't work no matter what description I use. The Form which does not support rich text and using the request for description. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

It all depends on if you are using Form (formerly ProForma Forms) or the request form as I mentioned above. Here is an example of using the request form:

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 9.37.43 AM.png

As you can see the Description field is accepting rich text. 

Here is an example of Form:

Screenshot 2023-06-05 at 9.40.07 AM.png

As you can see the "Describe in more detail" is not accepting rich text, and that is the difference between using the request form and Form.

bryan.baumann June 7, 2023

I get what you are saying, I think there is one more factor here. 

When I use the servicedesk/customer/portal/ to put in the ticket, it still looks like it is a rich text field. 

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 9.23.03 AM.png

But when I attempt to add an image to this field, it does not allow inline images. 

Using the exact same field when using the Create Button inside of Jira, I am able to put images in the description without an issue. 

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 9.25.00 AM.png

Originally I thought this was an issue using forms to create tickets which is the feature inside of JSM. I now see this seems to be a portal issue more than anything. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2023

Okay, now I see what you are saying. Yes, inline images are not available for the description field, anything you add will be added as an attachment. It is only comments that support it. There is a suggestion to change the description field on the portal to be the same markdown editor as within Jira, JSDCLOUD-9072

Like # people like this
bryan.baumann June 7, 2023

This was an evolving question as we chatted, thanks for helping out. 

Like Mikael Sandberg likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events