Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pull field data from JS issue in JSM

Nate Dickinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2023

Is there a way to pull a field from a Jira issue into the description in JSM?  I have two projects. IGS is our JSM project, and IG is our Jira cloud software project. In IG I have screenshots stored in the functional field which I would like to share with the client making the request within the IGS JSM project. Is there a way to do this? 

I can pull a reference to another ticket outside of JSM, but I don't have the ability to define what is viewable in the JSM portal. 

2023-01-25_12-29-37.png

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

Hi @Nate Dickinson 

In IG I have screenshots stored in the functional field which I would like to share with the client

A couple questions on "Screenshots stored in the functional field"

• What is the "functional field"?  Is this a custom field?
  • What do you mean by "screenshots stored in"...?  If your screenshots are attachments, they're simply attached to the issue, not a specific field.  Is this field providing a link to screenshots?

Answers to these questions will provide a better picture of your environment and will allow me to best answer your question.

Nate Dickinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2023

Functional is a custom field It takes all content types. I have my screenshots pasted into this field. 

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 31, 2023

Thank you for the additional clarity.  So, am I understanding correctly that you are trying to make the attachments from the linked IG issue visible to the customer on the portal view?  

If so, this is unfortunately not possible (at least not natively).  You'll have two challenges:

1. Because IG is not a JSM project, you cannot surface any of the details about that issue.
  2. You can use automation to copy pertinent information from the linked IG issue into the description of the JSM issue.  However, copying attachments from one issue to another is not currently possible (at least not natively)

There may be something in the marketplace, but I'm not aware of any apps off hand.

Nate Dickinson
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 31, 2023

That's what i figured. I hope they fix the attachments issue. That request has been out there for a while now with little movement. 

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 31, 2023

Agree - I would love to see that addressed as well.  I've worked with a number of organizations that would love to have something like this.

A thought occurred to me since my last response depending upon data sensitivity of your attachments... An option could be to use Confluence as a source of truth for the content and simply link to Jira.  The confluence space visibility would need to be opened up, but then you'd use automation to copy the Confluence link rather than the attachment.  Of course, if you have strict or complex security requirements, this is not a good option.  However, I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events