Processing of .eml attachments

Leon Schmidt April 1, 2022

Hello everyone,

I would like to understand how the .eml attachment is processed when creating an issue via mail. 

One of our customer created an issue via mail and attached an .eml file. In the issue, the content of the file was parsed into the description. The attachment itself was gone. 

I tried to reproduce it and also created an issue via mail and an .eml file attached. But whenever I do it, the file will just be attached to the issue. 

So, why are there different behaviors when using .eml files?

Cheers,
Leon 

1 answer

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2022

@Leon Schmidt In my experience it has always just attached it.  I am wondering if it has more to do with the email application your customer was using and how it attached it then how JSM is processing it.  I am thinking that the customers email application just added the attached email to the email body.  Can you view the original email that was sent on your email server?   Do you know what application the customer was using?  If they send you the same email is the email attached or added to the body? 

Leon Schmidt April 10, 2022

Hi @Brant Schroeder, Thank you for your time. I can't tell what software our customers are using. Probably all kind of software or directly via web-browser. 
But I can view the original E-Mail and that's why I was asking this question. Because the send E-Mail has an .eml attachment attached and when you open the same mail in Jira the .eml content is directly added into the description field. 

I also think the normal behaviour should just be always attached. Let's hope it was just a once in a time thing.  

Michael Lorkowski May 5, 2023

Hi Leon @Leon Schmidt ,

what's your projecttype? Jira Service Managemanet? What's the projecttype from your customer?

I've same problems, but not in every project. In Project "A" i got the ".eml" in project "B" the ending .eml is missing. I tried it with the same mail, same attachement, no differences. But i have a difference in the projects. Project "A" is a Service management Project. Maybe that's an approach.

Michael

Leon Schmidt May 5, 2023

Hi @Michael Lorkowski ,

we are using Jira Service Management for our projects. As far as I can tell, the 'problem' can occur in all of our Service Management projects.

We don't have any insight in what our customers are using as a system. 

For now, we stopped looking into it, because it is not happening very often. But if I possibly find something useful, I'll let you know. 

Cheers,
Leon

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events