cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent Issue Resolving if linked issue is at a certain status

Ste404
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2022

Hi all,

Sent myself down the rabbit hole with this one and am not sure how to close it off.

I have a little purchasing workflow that when an issue is approved the items that were selected on the portal have a linked issue created for each one in a Procurement business project.  The linked issues have a final status of 'Rejected' or 'Purchased'.  A main issue can have many linked issues, and what I want to do is to stop the main issue being resolved if any of the linked issues are NOT 'Rejected' or 'Purchased'.

I am looking at Validators and Conditions in the workflow for the request but not really sure I am in the correct spot for this one.

I doubt this is an automation task?  Not sure what direction to head with this one.

Thanks.

1 answer

2 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

@Ste404 -

I would recommend that the best way to approach this is by customizing your WF used against the main issue (i.e. when the issue moves into the resolved status it will invoke the validator to check for if all linked issues are resolved or not).

However to do this type of customization, you need to acquire the following add-ons to try them out.  Those add-ons will make your customization task easy and simple with minimum coding or no coding at at all.

Take a look and evaluate the following add-ons -

1. Scriptrunner for Jira (by Adaptavist) - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/6820/scriptrunner-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overview
  2. Jira Misc Workflow Extensions (JMWE) (by Appfire) - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/292/jira-misc-workflow-extensions-jmwe?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

In my opinion that those two add-ons are the must have add-ons in any Jira/JSM env.

Lastly, you can also try to use Automation for Jira which is already included in your JSM subscription, however it will not prevent the main issue from being transition into the resolved status when its associated linked issues are not resolved yet.  The automation rule can be setup so when all of its linked issues are resolved to automatically resolved the main issues.  This will require logic design + possible coding using smart values to make it happens.  This is what I call an reactive operation instead of the proactive operation (via validator) by customizing your WF.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Ste404
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2022

Hey there,

I thought I had it working in automation.  I looped through the linked issues and if any of the status were not one of the closed status it wrote a value to a variable.

But I need to drop out of the loop to action the status of the triggering issue but then the variable loses it value for some reason, even though in the loop I was writing it to the log and could see it.

Hence part of me being all tangled up.

I'll look into the addons as well but was encouraged to find an OOTB solution.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events