Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to make a custom field read only in JSM

Melina RAMPERSANDS March 23, 2023

Hi,

I want to make a Select List custom field read only in JSM. I have assigned default value to state field (Select List field), I want restrict the user by not changing the default valu assigned.

State_readonly.PNG

I have added state custom field and by default it is assigned with value "New", I don't want the user to change the value, so for that I want to make that field read only.

Is it possible to do or any other ways to satisfy the above mentioned requirement in JSM ??

2 answers

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

Hi Guru,

Remove the field from the Edit screen and the user will not be able to change the value.

Melina RAMPERSANDS March 23, 2023

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply.

I want to view that field in screen as user need to know their state. Is there any other solution ??

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2023

You should have three screens, create screen, edit screen, view screen. Leave the field on the create screen and the view screen, and remove it from the edit screen.

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2023

@Melina RAMPERSANDS -

Are you asking the field is read only for just customers when they create issues via the portal UI,  but your agent should be able to change the field via the issue view in the project's UI?

If yes, then it is not possible out of box.  You will need third party add-ons to accomplish what you wanted to do.  Out of the box, you can set a custom field for your project's Request form and select the checkbox to use preset value and hide from the portal.  However, the field will not be displayed in the portal, but only available in the issue view for your agents via the project UI.

2023-03-23_21-34-43.png

What is the rationale to display a field in the request type view via the portal, but you don't want it to be changed by the customer? 

Hope this makes sense.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2023

@Melina RAMPERSANDS -

I forgot to mention what @John Funk stated.  If your users are one who access the issues via the project UI, then what John stated is the solution.  However, it is still not clear on who do you mean by Users (Customers or Agent)?

Lastly, it only makes sense if the population of the custom field is done via the WF or automation rule and should not be changed by actual person via editing issue operation.

Hope this makes sense.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events