Possibility to create an issue from an email and hide the quoted (Re:) text until the last comment

Nadezhda Hristova June 18, 2021

Dear Atlassian Community,

I have a couple of questions about some possible features that me and my team have been looking for lately. 

• The first one is - is it possible to create an issue in Jira from an email's inbox or to register it as a comment in an already existing ticket? I have looked into some add-ons and applications, but I would like to get some direct answers and suggestions from the community here.
  • The second one is - in case an email is already created as an issue/comment, is it possible to publish only the last reply in it and not the whole email communication? Shortly said - to hide the quote (Re:) history until the last reply?

I am looking forward to hearing from your suggestions and advices.
Kind regards,
Nadezhda Hristova

3 answers

1 vote
Patrick Schüßler _yasoon_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2021

Hi @Nadezhda Hristova ,

I think Atlassian's Jira Cloud for Outlook add-in is a really good solution in this context.

We also provide an add-in: You can create or update Jira issues quickly with content from your Outlook emails. You can choose if you want to share just an email or a whole email conversation incl. future replies.
Also attachments and text formatting like lists, colors and tables can be taken over easily. Additionally, it is possible to reply to emails from within Jira.

And there are even more nice features to explore:

Demo: Microsoft 365 for Jira – IT project management use case - YouTube

Feel free to take a look at our product page or marketplace listing.

Cheers,

Patrick

1 vote
Vitalii Saienko
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2021

Hi @Nadezhda Hristova

As an alternative, you can use official Atlassian's Jira Cloud for Outlook add-in which allows you to create issues from email or send an email to an existing issue. It allows attaching email as it is to Jira issue or you can send it as a comment. Check out this link https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/office/wa200000056

Nadezhda Hristova July 1, 2021

Thank you, very much for the suggestion @Vitalii Saienko :)

I will have a look at the add-on.
For another case, we are actually testing out the Outlook Email for Jira. If you are familiar with both apps, can you share with me, in advance, some information with comparison for both of the apps? 

Kind regards,
Nadezhda Hristova

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2021

Hello @Nadezhda Hristova,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

On Jira Service Management, it’s possible to add a comment via email if the person who is sending the email has permission on the ticket (reporter, participant, or member of an organization the ticket was shared with) and if the summary contains the issue key.

If the person doesn’t have permission and the email summary doesn’t contain the information about the existing ticket, a new one will be created. 

Regarding your second question, there is an option that removed the history of the email. Please, go to Cog icon > Products > Email requests and select “Strip quotes”. 

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 18.05.20.png

Hope this helps!

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Nadezhda Hristova June 27, 2021

Hello, Angelica,

Thank you very much for the detailed answer. 

Unfortunately, this method is tested and does not work for some reason. Do you have any other suggestions or ideas why it does not work as supposed to?

If you need an example ticket or a screenshot of anything, I will be happy to share it with you. 

Kind regards,
Nadezhda Hristova

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
June 28, 2021

Hi @Nadezhda Hristova,

Do the customers use signatures on their emails?

I’m asking because there is a bug related to the Strip Quotes feature where it doesn’t work as expected when the email contains a formatted signature:

Nadezhda Hristova June 30, 2021

Hello @Angélica Luz

We weren't familiar with this bug before but I tested it out. Here are the results:

Screenshot_85.png

To elaborate, the Re: from the e-mail with signature did not quote any of the previous text in the comments, but the e-mail without signature sent a quoted Re: . 

Is that the same bug you are talking about or that is a different case here?

Kind regards,
Nadezhda Hristova

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
June 30, 2021

Thank you for sharing the screenshot, @Nadezhda Hristova.

Can you please let us know what mail client are the customers using? Is it Outlook?

If they are using Outlook, would it be possible to test by replying to the notification using the Web instead of Outlook?

Nadezhda Hristova July 1, 2021

Hello again @Angélica Luz ,

For this particular test issue was used an email account from Gmail (Web version, not the desktop app) and an account from our company domain using Thunderbird.

I cannot say for sure if there are customers who are using Outlook mailbox, but what I see is that there are customers with different mail domains (some of which are local or custom-made by the company).

Is it possible that the different mail domains/boxes have a different effect on the mail handler? Because in the photo the reply with a signature is sent from Thunderbird and it appeared blank. Then I removed the signature, but it had the same effect in the reply. We tested from the Gmail account (without signature) and the quoted text looked perfectly fine in the reply. 

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 1, 2021

Thank you for the details and for testing, @Nadezhda Hristova.

Depending on the mail client they are using, it will prompt add the quoted text in the response. 

On Jira cloud, we use the velocity template, but it doesn’t catch the variants from different mail clients, with may not strip the quoted reply.

I mentioned previously about Outlook because this issue usually happens when replying using Outlook. There is a workaround, but it’s available only for Server:

There are feature requests suggesting improvements for Cloud:

So, it will really depend on the mail client and how they are using it. On Gmail, for example, there is the option to expand the quoted text and if the customer adds the comment on the quoted part, it will be added to the comment on Jira.

Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 18.09.23.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events