cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porject settings | Chat | Request tab now missing

Kaleb
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 2, 2024

So I have been working with support on a plethora of things involving JSM and all these fun new 'bugs' that were introduced after absorbing Halp. 

1.  Project settings> Chat> when you had a Request type connected via the "request types'" and you did NOT link that request to any request channel via the 'Slack' tab, that request type would still show up when opening a ticket via assist bot in slack. 

2. There was a generic request type that was migrated from Halp, and I wanted to remove it, as we are using all the built in ticket types now. I was told that if I tried to disconnect/unlink the request type from the 'request types' tab, it would effectively disconnect all synced threads from slack. here is what I was told: 

"Unfortunately, at the moment, the only way to remove the "Ask a question" request type from appearing when creating new tickets would be to unlink it from the "Request types" tab. But as we discussed, unlinking the request type will cause active tickets to not sync with Assist anymore. So it would only be advised to unlink it after completing all active tickets."

so then I asked

• what if i change the request type of all the current open ‘ask a question' requests? would they stay in sync then?

" That will depend on whether the other Request Type is from the same Issue Type as the "Ask a question" request type. A recently found bug causes that whenever a request gets disconnected on Slack, it does not reconnect. So, if you need to update the Issue Type to a different one before setting it to the correct Request Type, this will cause the request to disconnect and make it unable to reconnect again.

Based on some tests I made, if the original and target Request Types are from the same Issue Type, the request is not getting disconnected. You can see more information about the bug in the following bug report:

Cool another bug.... 

"so If I go an disconnect ask a question. Does that mean “this thread will no longer sync” is going to be commented on thousands of old tickets ?".-- this is what I didn't want to happen when I unlink a request type, because when you change the request type the ticket gets a comment says "this will no longer sync". Having that happen thousands of times on old tickets is not ideal. 

"Unfortunately, that's correct. Some weeks ago, the infrastructure changed, causing this behavior to occur. In the previous infrastructure, whenever a connected Request Type was added to the field, it would reconnect the Slack thread. This change in behavior is being tracked in the following bug report"

• However I will note, the "This thread will no longer sync" message does not get commented on the tickets upon req type unlink. It's only when you CHANGE the request type of a ticket.

BUT here is where it gets interesting:

I brought up in the ticket that I just disconnected a request type, and made a comment on an old slack thread that was using that 'disconnected' request type, and it still synced to JSM and vice versa. 

I said "It appears like a request type of a disconnected request is still syncing. Unless I am missing something."

The tech replied "The product team must have pushed an update to this behavior, since I was able to reproduce the same as you mentioned now. I disconnected a Request Type from the "Request Type tab" and it was still syncing the comments. Based on this, it should be ok to disconnect the "Ask a question" request type from your project even for active/open tickets."

This is extremely frustrating to me. I get told one thing, and then out of nowhere I find out that isn't correct and all of a sudden it was an infrastructure change. 

So then I go looking at the Chat settings and noticed the "Request types" tab is now completely missing. and its only Slack | Settings tabs. 

The tech has literally no idea about this. I can't find any documentation, or any post about upcoming changes. In the literal setting up Chat with Slack guide it still references the "requests types" tab. Set up chat in Slack | Jira Service Management Cloud | Atlassian Support

So my questions are. 

1. Can I safely 'unlink' a request type from the Chat settings and that wont effect comments syncing on old tickets that used that now 'unlinked' request type?

1a. Before, you would do this by removing it from the agent/request channels via Project settings> Chat > Slack tab, AND then 'unlink' the request type from project settings> Chat > Request types. BUT now it seems like you just remove it from the agent and request channels via the Slack tab? is that correct? is there just no "request types" tab you need to "link" first too? 

2. where did the Request types tab go? why was it removed? and where do i find the documentation on that change? 

3. On the slack tab. What would the point be in adding a request type to the agent channel but not the request channel? When I added it to the request channel, but not agent channel, the ticket doesnt sync to the agent channel. Vice versa. 

• I cant see any merit it adding a request to req channel and not to agent. if the ticket doesnt sync to agent then what's the point?
  • However, I can see some merit in adding the req type to agent channel and not req. In that case the user can open the ticket with assist bot, and it will ONLY post to Agent channel not req (public) channel. Effectively this is my way of turning on private requests for a single request channel, instead of turning on the "private chat request" feature. which applies to all req channels in the project. 

0 answers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events