Permissions for Knowledgebase Space in Confluence

Patrick Alexander January 23, 2023

Hello,

we use Jira Service Management for collaborative work with our clients. For this purpose, we have also created several spaces in Confluence as knowledgebases.
In addition, some customers are directly in the Confluence. These only have access to certain Spaces.

The problem now is the visibility settings of the knowledge base. Only two options can be selected in the cloud:

Screenshot 2023-01-24 083343.png

However, all users in the Confluence will inevitably always have access to these spaces. We want to prevent this and only allow access via the Customer Portal.

Can anyone help me with this?

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2023

Hi @Patrick Alexander 

What will be the problem with selecting the first choice, "All logged in users.....view articles.... in the help center"?

My suggestion would be to revoke the access from your clients to confluence, and if necessary give them "guest" permission instead that of a user.

Patrick Alexander January 23, 2023

Hi Alex,

you mean the functionality of the guest feature would help because the guest do only have access to a specific space?

This would be nice. But there are also some internal users that are not allowed to view those spaces because of Data Privacy topics.

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2023

@Patrick Alexander read more about guests here

https://support.atlassian.com/confluence-cloud/docs/invite-guests-for-external-collaboration/

But keep in mind that this is on Beta currently. The guest feature would possibly help only if you want the guest to have access to just one space. If your clients have to access many confluence spaces and collaborate on many, then you should leave them as is.

Patrick Alexander January 24, 2023

That is my point. Some users need access to diffrent spaces and i think in this case we are not able to configure it as we need it

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2023

So let me get this straight:

• You have XX customers who log in from the portal. These users, if the KB is set to "All logged in users" will have access to the articles only through the portal.
  • You have YY customers who are also confluence users. These users if the KB is set to "All logged in users" will have access to the articles through the portal, but they can also see the articles if they log in to your confluence instance.

I'm sorry for asking this, and please do forgive me, but I can't seem to understand the problem here. To me it seems that this exactly how it should work, unless I'm missing something. 

Patrick Alexander January 24, 2023

If think you missed the thing, that the YY customers are not allowed to view the articles directly in Confluence and also not in the portal

Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2023

Permissions in confluence are additive. E.g.:

• You have a user which belongs to a group and this group doesn't have the permission to view a space
  • But the above user belongs to another group which has the permission to view the space but also to edit
  • The above user will be able to view the space and edit pages etc.

Have you try the above scenario (to recreate it as to be a client) and you saw that you actually have a problem and can't see specific articles?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events