Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parsing an email and updating fields

McG
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 26, 2023

I'm somewhat confused on whether this is possible or not. I found a couple of older threads but nothing with the more recent updates. 

We receive emails from an external system to advise us of new hires. They come from a noreply address but fit a certain format. 

Is there a way to extract the text of the email and use it to populate custom fields using automation?

e.g. the email comes in and has things like th ebelow, exactly like this;

Reports To: Bob Dylan

Start Date: 2023-03-28

What we would want to do is 'on creation' have the automation find the Reports to line and update the Reporter of the ticket to a user in the system. Then take the start date and update the custom field we have called 'start date'

Honestly, it looks like we can from what I've googled, but the *how* is confusing me tremendously. Can someone help break this down for me?

1 answer

2 votes
Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 26, 2023

Hi @Mark Crowle-Groves welcome to the Atlassian Community! 

So this is a bit tricky because while we can have a condition to check that the description contains "Reports To:" AND "Start Date:" pretty easily (assuming you have your project configured to create issues upon receiving incoming emails), the values that follow the parsed description fields we are after constantly change and might require the use of Regex. 

Now I haven't tested this myself at the moment but I have watched the video fully and it seems to be relatively straight forward and achieves what you're looking for. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP90ckC29Kk&t=510s

Hopefully this helps, I might test this myself tomorrow if I have time. 

Kind Regards, 

Ash 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events