Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Issues showing when viewing only closed issues (no resolutions set)

Rabbit Stoddard January 3, 2022

In Jira service management, customers are seeing Open tickets when filtering by status (open/closed). The tickets showing do not have a resolution set, so that is not the issue. In fact, when I go between open and closed requests, the exact same issues show: 

open.pngclosedonly.pngclosed.png

The tickets listed are all in open statuses, and none have a resolution set, nor have they ever had a resolution set. 

Anyone got any thoughts? 

4 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2022

@Rabbit Stoddard

I'm not seeing the same behavior on my instance. It is properly filtering the tickets that I have created as expected. I see that you have a premium subscription, have you raised this issue with Atlassian?

Thanks,

Kian

Not yet, but I'm guessing this is the next step.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2022

Please share final solution here and then accept it as the final answer so as to help future searchers.

Rabbit Stoddard February 7, 2022

Turns out, this is an existing bug with service management, documented here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/MIG-935

I'm told a fix should be deployed 2/8/2022

0 votes
Answer accepted
Rabbit Stoddard February 7, 2022

Turns out, this is an existing bug with service management, documented here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/MIG-935

I'm told a fix should be deployed 2/8/2022

Rabbit Stoddard March 1, 2022

Final update -- this fix was deployed, and the problem is resolved in my instance. Thanks!

3 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2022

@Rabbit Stoddard -

In Jira/JSM, issue is considered "CLOSED" when resolution is populated.  In your case, did you check the associated WFs to see if the WFs are setting the resolution properly?

By default, the resolution is always set when issues move into the final WF status.

Lastly - 

JSM currently setup to work in Service Desk is to be based off of whether or not the issue has any value in its resolution field.  

• If it does, the issue is considered closed. 
  • If it does not, it is considered open.  

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

There is no value in the resolution field, there has never been a resolution set on any of these issues, and none of them are in a final WF status. If it had been a resolution issue, this would be fairly simple to resolve.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2022

Since you choose to use JSM that way (without the use of resolution), then it will be difficult.  This is the system basis of JSM and Jira.  I highly recommend that you re-think your decision.

Unless Atlassian changes this basis on how the system works.  I know once if your issues resolution are populated (populated via WFs), then they will not show up in the "Open Requests" filter in your portal for customers.

Lastly, there is already an enhancement ask to Atlassian to use status to determine what to show in Open Requests/Closed Requests instead of resolution field - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-1327.  I would recommend you to add yourself as an watcher of it.

Best, Joseph

Rabbit Stoddard January 5, 2022

you misunderstood. These items are /open/, so there has not yet been a resolution set. When they are closed, they will have a resolution set. but this is not a case where there is a value in the resolution field even though the status is not a closed status. 

I have opened a support ticket with Atlassian, as this issue seems to be caused by a filtering bug of some kind.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2022

Interesting.  Please share your findings on your Atlassian support case.  It doesn't make sense where you have issues with resolution values, but you are still able to see them in the "Open Requests" filter via the Portal.

I would recommend that you need to confirm that Resolution field for your JSM project is not accidently added to project's screen scheme (i.e. Create Issue or Edit Issue Screen).  The field should only be available in the View Issue Screen, because the population of the field is controlled via your project's WF transition.  Lastly, you should still check to ensure that your WF transition clears out the resolution value when issues move back from the terminal status to other statuses.  This is something that the user (who is the one customizing the WF) often forget to properly configure the transitions.

Best, Joseph

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 3, 2022

Hi @Rabbit Stoddard , as you have elluded to, Open Requests should resolve to issues where the Resolution is empty/null and Closed Requests are where the Resolution is set. Here is what I would look at...

• run some JQL queries and inspect the results
  • check any Resolutions on these results
  • ensure that someone hasn't created a Resolution value called "unresolved"

I have already done this; the issues in question show up when I do a JQL search for resolution is EMPTY. 

I may just need to open a support ticket, as it appears that all users in my instance are impacted by this.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events