Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One specific customer is not receiving email notifications when their Jira requests are updated

Eryn Bernard August 18, 2022

Hi all! 

This morning I had one of our long-standing managers/Jira customers tell me that she has never received notification emails from her +100 requests. We have no other reports of this issue. Our project is set up to notify customers any time a request is updated (comments added, resolution/status changes, etc.) by an agent, and I have confirmed that she does have the customer role in our project. 

This seems like an isolated issue and I'm struggling to find another way to troubleshoot why this issue is only happening with this specific customer. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2022

Hi @Eryn Bernard it sounds like the JSM project/notifications/email settings are configured correctly as only 1 user is reporting the issue. Just to be certain though take a look through these troubleshooting articles to rule out possible JSM issues.

If everything looks good on the JSM/Atlassian side of things then I think next steps would be to check for issues on the customer end.

• Were the emails delivered to the customer's Junk/Spam folders?
  • Are the emails unexpectedly being caught by any email rules the customer has created? Some possible examples:
    • Redirected to a folder other than Inbox
    • Redirected and marked as read
    • Deleted upon delivery
  • Does the customer's organization use email protection systems/services, and if so, are the emails being incorrectly flagged as malicious and deleted/quarantined before delivery to the customer's mailbox?

Thank you for your help Connor! The customer did in fact have Outlook rules, that she was unaware of, redirecting the Jira requests.

Like Connor likes this
Connor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2022

You're very welcome Eryn, glad I could help :)

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2022

@Eryn Bernard -

Can you confirm if the user in question is either the issue reporter or request issue's requested participants?

By default, when agent updates an issue, the issue reporter and issue requested participants will get the notification.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Thank you! Yes, the customer in question is the issue reporter in this case. However, she has not received notifications from requests where she's the reporter or where she's added as a participant.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2022

@Eryn Bernard -

A few things for you to check -

1) Verify that the user's email address associated to her account in your env is valid or not.

2) If it is valid, you should submit a support request to Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com), so they can review the system log for errors against that specific user's account (email address).

3) Ask the user to check with her company's email exchange team to see if there is something that on her end is blocking the email notification due to her company's policy.  Or, ask her to check her email client app to see if she has the notifications filtered in her client app.

Best, Joseph

Like Eryn Bernard likes this

Thank you so much for your help Joseph! The issue has been resolved. :)

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 18, 2022

@Eryn Bernard -

You are welcome.  If my suggestions also helped you, please click on Accept answer too when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events