cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of issues resolved counted multiple times

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2023

Hello all,

Today I was made aware of the following situation and I am lost on how to solve this.

We would like service desk agents to resolve a minimum number of issues each day and discuss those numbers during our weekly meeting. This gives us a good idea of the workload, that problems the agents might have run into, etc.

To facilitate our customers as best as we can, we have a workflow which includes three resolving statuses.

1. Answer Provided
  2. Resolved
  3. Closed

We use automations to transfer an issue from 1 to 2 after a few days and from 2 to 3 after another few days. However, it turns out that the number of issues resolved is reported several times during those transitions.

So, an agent is "rewarded" when an issues moves into Answer Provided, again when the issues moves to Resolved and a third time when the issue is finally Closed. As you can imagine, this is giving warped statistics and we would like to see this resolved. 

I am sure we are not the only ones using multiple resolving statuses and I am wondering how you handle the reporting of those issues?

Am I overlooking a setting? Is there another way to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 4, 2023

Hello @Paul Wiggers 

How are you getting the data that tells you the number of issues resolved per user per day?

When do you think the agent should get credit for the issue being resolved, based on the statuses you specified?

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

I am using the default Atlassian reporting tools.

Some additional information to clarify before moving on. We have two In Progress statuses (Waiting for Agent and Waiting for Customer). The agent can only transfer issues to Answer Provided and/or Resolved (Calling them Resolving status from hereon). The Closed status is only available to the automation.

I believe the agent should get credit when an issue is moved from an In Progress status to a Resolving status. This means that when a customer replies that everything is ok the next day, the agent will receive double credit for the issue. This scenario is accepted.

However, what happens now is that, after a few days, when an issue with a Resolving status is moved to the next Resolving status by an automating, the agent is awarded credit. 

Perhaps an example will help of what is happening now.

• Agent legitimately resolves 10 issues on day 1 and goes on leave for a few days
    • The agent is awarded 10 credits
  • On day 5, the automation transitions the issue from Answer Provided to Resolved
  • On day 7, another automation transitions the issue from Resolved to Closed

So, by resolving 10 issues, the agent is awarded 30 credits without the agent having to do any additional work. 

I am looking for a way to award only 10 credits, even when the issue transitions from resolving status to resolving status.

Does this clear things up a bit?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2023

How are you generating the report? Are you using a built in report? If so, which one? If you have built a custom report with your own JQL, what is that filter?

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2023

We are using the built-in Tickets Resolved by Agent report. We don't (yet) use a custom report for this information.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2023

I don't see that in the list of reports form the JSM project I just created. 

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 8.03.08 AM.png

Maybe it comes with a particular JSM project template. Do you recall which one was used to create your project?

Can you click on the Edit Report option and show us the configuration for the report?

Screen Shot 2023-05-05 at 8.02.52 AM.png

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

Sorry, I was mistaken, the report is a custom one but I am using a predefined series, Resolved in this case.

I am using a series for every agent in the team that look like this, very basic as you can see.

Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 20.08.55.png

Is there anything in this configuration that I can change to get the results that I am looking for?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2023

Are the three statuses you named all in the Done Status Category (are they all green)?

Do the transitions to all three statuses set the Resolution field?

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

Yes to both questions. They set the resolution equal to the status. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

I was able to replicate your scenario.

It looks like the Resolved Series is counting an issue on each day that the Resolved date/time field is set, as long as the Resolved date/time doesn't subsequently get cleared.

If you have "resolved" statuses that are available only through Automation, I would suggest you consider not setting the Resolution field during those transitions. Then the Resolved date/time will not get updated and the issue will not get counted again.

That is the only work around I was able to think of for this scenario.

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 24, 2023

Hello @Trudy Claspill 

Thank you for trying to find a solution, it looks like there isn't one and we might need to re-evaluate our workflow yet again, or we need to take a good look at marketplace apps that might help us out in this situation.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events