Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not raise the ticket by sending email to JSM

ozama motohiro March 11, 2024

Sorry for bothering,
please help me clarify via raising ticket by sending mail.

We use JiraSM for handling query for system trouble or operation.
And user do not like to populate their query on input form of JSM, so we ask user to raise ticket by sending mail to JSM specific mail address.
However, it seems that sometimes tickets are not raised by sending mail to our specific JSM mail address.
In the case of raising ticket by sending email, JSM has specific procedure for that?

1 answer

1 vote
andrea breaux
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 11, 2024

When using JSM, you can indeed configure email channels to allow users to raise tickets by sending an email to a specific email address associated with your JSM project. Here's a general overview of how this process works: KrogerFeedback

JSM project.jpg

• First, ensure that your JSM project is configured to accept incoming emails. You can find this configuration in your Jira settings under "System" > "Incoming Mail" or similar. Make sure you have set up an email address for your project and configured any necessary mail handlers.
  • Users can then send an email to the specified email address associated with your JSM project. This email should contain all the necessary information related to their query or issue, such as a description, any attachments, and relevant details like priority or request type (if applicable).
  • When an email is sent to the designated email address, Jira automatically creates a new ticket in your JSM project based on the contents of the email. The subject line of the email typically becomes the summary of the ticket, while the body of the email becomes the description.
  • Depending on your specific setup, you may need to configure additional settings such as mail handlers to process incoming emails, rules for parsing email content into specific fields, and automation rules to handle incoming tickets.

If tickets are not being raised consistently when users send emails to your JSM-specific email address, here are a few troubleshooting steps you can take:

• heck the email configuration settings in your Jira instance to ensure that incoming mail is enabled and configured correctly.
  • Verify that the email address users are sending emails to is correct and associated with your JSM project.
  • Review any mail handler configurations to ensure they are set up correctly and are not encountering any errors.
  • Check the mail server logs or Jira logs for any errors or issues related to incoming email processing.
  • Test sending an email to the JSM email address yourself to see if a ticket is created successfully.

Thank you for quick response.
In my case, if several destinations and JSM email address are specified on 1 query email, then seems not to be raised JSM ticket.
But just JSM email address is specified on email, then seems to be raised JSM ticket normally. Is this behavior a expected one?

Thanks in advance

Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2024

Hi @ozama motohiro 

Yes.

If more email addresses to JSM related addresses are specified and they are active to create issues, the mail handler won't know where to make the issue.

@Marc Koppelaar -san

Understood, and really nice to hear it
I will announce it to our team to specify just only JSM mail address in case of query for something

My query is resolved, so will close this one, Thanks

Like Marc Koppelaar likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events