Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New issues created default to "Done"

Alex Caine October 18, 2021

Whenever I create an issue in Service Management or Jira Kanban board the issue immediately gets marked as "Done." This behavior started randomly, and it's messing with my automation. The workflows looks normal and don't seem to indicate that an issue would move from Open to Done automatically as default. Any help please?

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2021

When you say "marked as done", do you mean it gets crossed out as "resolved", or do you mean "it gets created in the to-do status, but then transitions to a done status"?

If it's the first of those, then check your create screens and post-functions, make sure the resolution is not on screen and not being set by a post-function

If it's the second of these, then start by checking the history - who changed the status and when?

If it's something else, then please explain more!

For the Jira Boards, when I manually create a new issue and save it, it's marked with a "Done" status, and I have to go find it and change the status to either backlog, to-do etc. This didn't happen initially which is odd. 

In JSM I'm experiencing similar behavior, but with the Automation so I assume it is in fact related to that. However, my automation is very simple and only involves creating a task each Monday, nothing related to statuses, and the fact that my new issues on Jira scrum board are doing the same makes me assume the behavior is related somehow. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2021

Ok, so what does the history say?  Who moved it through the transition from "to do" to "done", and when?

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 2.03.31 PM.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2021

Hmm.  How are you doing the create?  Clicking in a column on the board or create in the menu bar, or something else?

Do you have any automations active in the project (or global ones that might be looking at it), and have you checked the workflow for this issue type starts with Create -> To-do (or whatever, the important bit is that it does not say Create -> Done!)

It doesn't seem to matter where I create. I can be in my Backlog, and hit create new at the bottom of the list, and once created it immediately disappears since it's status is set to done and not backlog. 

However, I did check the workflow for this issue type in my Jira scrum project settings and it was going from create to done for some reason. The workflow in JSR was different, but it appears this workflow was also capturing new "tasks" even in JSR. Hopefully that's solves it. Thanks for the help! 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2021

Excellent!  At least it was something readily fixable!  Glad to be have been of some help in finding it!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2021

@Alex Caine 

I agreed with @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- statement.  In addition, Kanban/Scrum boards are associated with Jira Software projects and not for JSM projects.  In JSM projects, all issues are tracked via Queues concept.

I would also recommend you to investigate your Automation rules to ensure there are no rules making the improper status transition or setting the resolution field incorrectly.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 12.36.29 PM.png

If I manually create a task it defaults to "open," but when this automation runs it defaults to "Done." This is a queue I created to keep a record of resolved work items since they would essentially just disappear otherwise. 

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2021

@Alex Caine -

Did you had a chance to look at the WF for Task issue type in the General Requests project to ensure there is no post-function incorrectly transitioning the issue?

Another question, when you manually create a task, are you creating the task in the same project?

Best, Joseph

This is the workflow being used for Task issue type (I do notice it's not default or classic, but "workflow scheme for project TP)" 

And yes, both scenarios are in same project. Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 1.04.58 PM.png

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2021

@Alex Caine 

From the WF, when issue is created, it will be set to OPEN.  Afterward, one can move the issue to DONE and Other statuses. There has to be a post function call that auto-promote the transition to DONE.  Please check the WF setup.

Also, I don't quite understand your reply to Nic "However, I did check the workflow for this issue type in my Jira scrum project settings and it was going from create to done for some reason. The workflow in JSR was different, but it appears this workflow was also capturing new "tasks" even in JSR. Hopefully that's solves it. Thanks for the help! ".

What project is JSR?  Nevertheless, the WF associated with JSR is not configured properly.  Lastly, each project can have its own separate WF customization as needed, you just need to make sure that the same WF is not being shared by multiple projects.

Best, Joseph

Alex Caine October 19, 2021

I think that was the issue, the WF being shared by multiple projects and I didn't realize it. Thanks for your input, Joseph!

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2021

@Alex Caine -

Glad it was the cause of your issue.  Please click on Accept Answer when you have a chance for our solutions provided to you.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events