Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with setting up Confluence AND bypass company-imposed security

Jarosław Kaczmarek June 6, 2022

Hi

To explain the ominous thread name, we are yet to launch our first JSM but already the company security has hit us with the ban hammer. We really did hope we could provide Confluence links in the request forms in addition to the auto-proposing articles.

The company has set IP whitelisting and VPN as security measures for accessing the Confluence, so the potential customers will not be able to access any link we put in the request forms. Auto-proposing works fine, but this simply will not cut on its own as customers can and will miss certain types of articles.

I need to get creative about this problem, as we will go live within weeks.

What I want to achieve:

• I would like our customers to be able to see the list of available KB articles
  • I would like to be able to, in a given request, place a link to a specific guide they can follow
  • Alternatively, a community board/page set externally will also do

Any advice you can share, plugin, or external resource you can propose will be a life savior.

Thanks!

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2022

The proper way to do that would be to let the customers see anything in your knowledge-base - so whitelist them for access to (at least) the KB space within Confluence, same as you have to let them use the JSM portals.

If security are blocking you on that, then you're going to lose the functionality that JSM linked to a KB offers customers, and yes, struggle to get pages over to your users.  The most obvious minimal implementation would be to have agents copy and paste the articles you want them to see into a response.

If I couldn't get security to allow the access you need, then I might start think about duplicating your KB out to another Confluence they can see.

Like Jarosław Kaczmarek likes this
Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 6, 2022

Hi,

We are doing the same thing. Our JSM Portal is only open to customers that were create by us, it is not a public instance. And they must identify themselves before they can access the Portal. This way they are known to the cie. As for Confluence we have a dedicated Space for the Portal. The space allow confuence users and anonyme to access the info from the Portal, they don't even know that it is Confluence that contains those pages. Our Confluence instnace is on its way to be a DC instance but for the moment it is an Onpremise instance. It is not open to the public either.

In our Confluence space for the portal, we use the macro extract with many pages so teams that want to keep the KB in their space can to this and it allows us to standardize the visual of the page and only link this Space. The teams only have to make sure that the KB can be read by anonymous and Confluence users.

Like Jarosław Kaczmarek likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events