Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Native Time Tracker - Making a Report

Dustin Alcock January 4, 2023

My team would like to start using the Time Tracker available in Jira Service Management, natively. However, I don't see any way to run a report against the data being collected in each ticket for the time spent. All the instructions I'm finding are for Jira Software, not Service Management. How can I use the Time Tracker info outside of looking at a ticket one by one?

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2023

The native time-tracking works the same in all of the three project types (Work Management, Software, and Service Management).  I am not sure about Product Discovery projects, I have not yet spent much time in any of them (in curious digging mode, let alone "production")

But the native reporting on work logs has been simple and not highly functional for all the time I've worked with Jira.  I don't think Atlassian have put a lot of time into it, probably because they had other priorities, and Tempo (and slightly later, other app vendors) did a whole load of stuff that was so much better than what Atlassian had sketched out.

We get the workload report in projects, and then a handful of gadgets for dashboards, but it's not highly developed, and the instructions you've found for Jira Software are probably just what you can do in Service Management as well.

Much as I'm an Atlassian fan-boy, time-tracking is a weakness in Jira.  Not the actual tracking, I think that works ok (developer can log time on issue, job done), but the reporting on it is pretty much non-existent and as soon as someone mentions it, I reach for an app.   (I'm most familiar with Tempo Timesheets, so that's the default mention from me, but there are other really good ones in the marketplace that may work better for you)

Dustin Alcock January 5, 2023

Thanks for the reply, Nic. I can't say I'm surprised, it seems like every month or two I'm trying to implement something that "looks" like it's there that I can do....but is half thought out/implemented and requires another $1500-9k a year 3rd party marketplace app to complete. The privacy terms on a lot of these marketplace apps are hard to get pass legal due to how most of these 3rd party devs use the data they collect from the connection, not to mention tacking on to a continuing ballooning six figure a year bill.

But yes, while Time Tracking works across all projects, there only seems to be the reporting ability within Jira Software, not Service Management....

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events