Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Migration from JSW (cloud) to JSM (cloud)

I'd like to migrate a team from using Jira Software to Jira Servive Management in our cloud subscription.

I've created a JSM project using the existing JSW project as a template. If I bulk move the issues from the JSW to the JSM project:

• What else would need to change for our team to start using the JSM project? 
  • What would appear differently for our team? Would it be pretty much identical in experience and workflow until we start expanding our use of JSM features, or would some things be different?

Thanks so much in advance.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill Community Leader Dec 30, 2022

Hello @John Wells 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

Can you tell us about what problem you are trying to solve with this change?

What about JSW is not satisfying your needs?

What about JSM do you think will satisfy your needs?

I've inherited this situation, but basically:

We are a very small team using Jira Software for two teams: one is an operational help desk and the other is our software team. Our operational team is intended to be the work ingestion route for a our company (Help Desk). We would like to offer our internal employees the ability to submit tickets either through a user portal or through email, which I believe is supported on both side by JSM. Of particular importance is the ability to have unlicensed users submit tickets.

My goal is to transition the operational team to JSM, keep the software team in JSW, and hopefully find a seamless way to flow requests between the two.

That is a common use case.

Yes, email and portal ticket submission is supported by JSM, where only email and full UI is supported for JSW and only for licensed users.

If you are keeping Jira Software for your development team, then you can use the agile functionality of it to continue to have boards for the issues in the Service projects if your Operational team needs boards.

You can use issue linking and automation to relate issues in the Service project to issues in the Software project and keep information synchronized between them.

Note that there are additional setups that you will need to do to enable your internal users to become Customers of your Service project(s) so that they can submit issues. Customers are a special type of "licensed" user that does not count against your licensing costs.

Thanks so much, Trudy. This sounds exactly like what I'm trying. to accomplish. Where is the best place to go to learn more to about setting this up correctly?

Like John Funk likes this

For learning about Service Management you can find courses on Atlassian University:

https://university.atlassian.com/student/catalog/list?search=jira+cloud+service+management

And tutorials on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jira+cloud+service+management

If you want to learn about Automation Rules the home page of the documentation is here:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

There are prebuilt rule templates that you can find within the Automation feature, and also here:

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library#/rule-list?systemLabelId=all&page=1&pageSize=20&sortKey=name&sortOrder=ASC

It doesn't look like there is a template for this exact scenario, but there are lots of posts in the Jira communities about Automation Rules. You might find that there is already a post where somebody asked how to create and link and synch issues.

If you work on the rule yourself and run into trouble, you can come back to the community to ask questions. In that case, it is very helpful to us if you post an image that shows your entire rule, and post the Audit Log for an execution of the rule when it didn't give you the results you expected.

Like John Wells likes this
1 vote

@John Wells -

To supplement what @Dirk Ronsmans suggestions, the other differences are -

1) In JSM, issues are typically created via JSM portal UI and not normally created in the project UI.

2) In JSM, you will need to setup Request Types based on your JSM issue types to create the issue creation screen.

3) JSM is free for all customers who need to create issues in your JSM project via the portal UI.  Anyone who needs to work or be assigned to against the actual tickets (issues once submitted) will required JSM agent license.  Agent licenses are different than the JSW user licenses.

Hope this also helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

1 vote
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Dec 30, 2022

Hey @John Wells welcome to the community!

In essence the way of working remains the same. You still have issues that have workflow behind it and fields that show on a screen.

There will be some (major) differences in how the items are visualized to your agents tho.

I think the main difference will be the lack of boards and the introduction of Queues.

If you don't configure any of the other options (SLA, Opsgenie integration, Change process,..) it won't be that much of a big change initially.

You will need to give the users a JSM licence of course (product access) otherwise they'll have very limited access to the JSM project 

Thank you for the reply, Dirk. I appreciate it!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events