cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linked Major Issue JQL automation

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2021

I'd like to create some Jira rules based on the status of a "Linked Major Issue", however, I am having trouble getting Jira (JQL) to actually look at that field.  I've found some documentation that indicates these queries should work, but when I use them in JIRA I get errors. 

"Linked major incidents" is not EMPTY

chrome_2021-02-17_10-43-12.png

Does anyone have any suggestions? Perhaps this isn't a field I can access in that way?
I've considered doing this through the Linked Issues Trigger, but wanted to see if the more direct route would work first.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

@Chris Buzon 

The documentation that you shared is for Server and you are on Cloud.  In cloud you will need to review the issue link and trigger off of that like you suggested.

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2021

I figured that might be the case, thanks for confirming!

Carlos Hernandez March 29, 2021

Could you provide some clarification on this?  How are we able to trigger on the creation or linking of a major incident?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2021

@Carlos Hernandez 

It really depends how you are identifying a major incident.  Are you using issue or request type, priority, component or a different identifier?  Depending on what you are using and when it is applied you will be able to trigger an automation or you can add something to your workflow as well.

If we have an incident issue type, with varying request types and just simply hit the create major incident for the ops genie incident, I would like to run some automation on the creation and or linking of incidents to the major incident. Is there someway I can trigger on it?

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

@Carlos Hernandez You can definitely use the issue type to fire off an automation and could automate linking but I am not sure what the logic would be.  Would you do something like issues of the issue type incident created in the last 30min get linked together? 

For instance I would like an automation along the lines of:

1. Incident has been linked to major incident
  2. Send an api call to confluence to create the known error record and add it to the incident.

How would the issue type help me to know when an incident has been linked to the major incident? I did a quick test with the linked issue trigger but that did not execute when I linked an incident to a major incident.

Jeret Shuck May 14, 2021

I'm also looking to be able to create a JQL that displays major incidents. Has anyone made any progress on this? 

Arie June 2, 2021

We have similar requirement.

0 votes
Dan Brockwell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2021

Hey Chris! My name is Dan; I'm an Associate Product Manager for Incident Management in Jira Service Management.

My understanding is the documentation you're referencing is a capability in Server, but not Cloud.

However, we've heard similar feedback to yours previously, and are aiming to deliver a JQL-powered queue for major incidents in the next 2-3 months in order to help teams surface and report on major incidents more easily within JSM.

Keep an eye out and feel free to email me on dbrockwell@atlassian.com if you have any further questions :)

Ignacio Vera July 21, 2021

Hi dan, I need to delete a major incident but we have not Opsgenie installed, what can I do?

thanks

Dan Brockwell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 22, 2021

Hi Ignacio, are you in a merged or unmerged JSM instance?

For most customers, Opsgenie comes automatically bundled if you have JSM and you should be able to go click on the major incident within JSM to view in OG.

If you're in an unmerged instance, you would need an OG licence to access this UI.

Nadia October 19, 2021

@Dan Brockwell hey, hope all is good!

Can you please let us know if you have any updates on the upcoming JQL-powered queue for major incidents in JSM Cloud? Would be good to know the actual status of this :)

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events