cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit users in a "user" custom field based on current reporter

Sandra Axelsdottir
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2020

Hi, I have the following use case in JSM Cloud

1. I have 9000 customers
  2. Everyone can request new hardware/software, but that needs approval from their manager.
  3. I would like to automatically set the approver as the reporter's manager (but I can't figure that out without Insight, and that feature of Insight is not available on cloud)
  4. So instead of #3, I thought I could have the customer select their manager from a select list, but in that case I need a clever way to limit the number of available users in the field. Any ideas?

One idea for #4 is to create a "managers" group, to filter only on managers and that is an easy config.

That still leads to a lot of people, so I would love to limit it even further. For example, only show managers that are in the same group as the reporter or something like that. BUT, I don't know what would be the best way to accomplish this. Again, any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 11, 2020

Hello Sandra,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

When dealing with a large number of customers, the best option would be to add them to Organizations. Using this feature, they would be able to search only for managers in the Organization. 

Also, another option would be using different projects for different domains/organizations, so it would also restrict their search for approvers.

If there are few managers, there is a workaround where you can limit the number of users using a custom field.

Note that, the managers must be internal users (they don't need to have a license, but they must be migrated to Atlassian account, so you can add them in a group).

Hope this helps!

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Sandra Axelsdottir
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2020

If the organization feature was mature enough to use, then that could be an option. Having to manually organize customers into organizations is not an option. But don't know how to limit managers list in a custom field to an organization. How would I do that?

I'm using the workaround you mention, that is, to limit the list of approvers to a specific group. My question was if I could limit to different groups depending on the reporter, which it doesn't seem to be possible.

So, sorry to say, unfortunately this doesn't help.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 15, 2020

Hi Sandra,

That's the workaround for now to limit the list of approvers. 

But don't know how to limit managers list in a custom field to an organization. How would I do that?

After adding customers and their managers to an organization, you can go to Project settings > Customer permissions (Classic) or Service project settings > Channels > Customer permissions (Next-gen) and change the Customer sharing option to Customers can search for other customers within their organizations

My question was if I could limit to different groups depending on the reporter, which it doesn't seem to be possible.

On the workflow, it's possible to select only one field for approvers, so the option to show the results based on the customer that is creating the ticket, won't be possible.

Sandra Axelsdottir
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2020

Thank you Angéliica.

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events