Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit moving tickets between projects and workflow

Soporte Inlogiq November 30, 2022

Is there any posibility to give an acces The limited number of people should move tickets through projects (liders of those) but don´t limit thepermission to other users to move tickets through the workflows.

Jira has the permission of moving tickets but it affects either moving between projetcs and workflow.

Maybe you can share some workarounds for this case, pls. 

Thank you in advance!

3 answers

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

Hi @Soporte Inlogiq , the only way to prevent a user from moving an issue from project A to project B other than the Move permissions would be to not allow the user to have Create issue permissions to project B.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  & @Joseph Chung Yin , I think @Soporte Inlogiq is asking about this scenario...

He wants to restrict who can move issues from one project to another. But...

He wants to allow those 'restricted users' to be able to use Move within the same project, which is required if the current issue type's workflow is different than the target issue type's workflow.

Like Soporte Inlogiq likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2022

I read that too, but focussed on "move issues through projects".  I'm pretty sure it's one or the other, but I really wouldn't like to take a bet on either!

Like # people like this
Soporte Inlogiq December 1, 2022

yep, I want to restrict the posibility of moving  between projects.Captura de pantalla 2022-12-01 101323.png

@Jack Brickey Hi, I can´t restrict creation permition because users sholud excalate issues to other projects, so they must have creation permition

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2022

Ok. So I think you have your answers here, I.e. not possible. Or at least that is my takeaway.

thanks @Jack Brickey either way we have found some workaround for this case .. we´ll see. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2022

Cool. You may wish to share your work around here for future searches.

Soporte Inlogiq December 21, 2022

Hello @Jack Brickey  at first we created assests field with issue types and applied automation rule so that change there issue types. it worked, but it would be better to prohibit moving from section move issue Captura de pantalla 2022-12-21 103955.png

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2022

I am a little lost on what the problem is.

There is no such thing as "move issues between projects and workflows" - an issue lives in a project and is associated with a workflow by the project and issue-type settings.  They have a project and a workflow at all times, they do not move between them.

Are you talking about transitions?  (Status change)?  When you say "move", you actually mean that you are looking at an issue, within a project, that has a workflow with several status, and you are changing the status?

If that's the case, then look at the project permissions - there is one for "transition issue".  If you take that away from people, they will not be able to move issues through the project/issuetype's workflow.

For more flexibility, look at the workflow - the transitions can have "conditions" set on them.  Most people use them to say things like "you can only move the issue through this transition if you are in role X or group Y", but you can imagine that you can set up much more complex conditions.

Hi, I meant this. I can move a ticket between projects, and it changes workflow etc. 

So I want to do this only small amount of people just liders of those projects not all agents

Captura de pantalla 2022-12-01 101323.png

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 30, 2022

@Soporte Inlogiq -

I agreed with both @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- and @Jack Brickey stated.  In Jira, "Move Issue" permission is different then "Transition Issue" permission.  Not quite clear on what exactly you are asking - Are you trying to control who can move issues between projects but still allow users to transition issues within a same project?

Please advise.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hi Joseph, there are 2 "move issues" I didn´t found info about the diference between them. I don´t want agents to move issues from project to project. but they must have permisson to move through the workflow in the project where they are 

MicrosoftTeams-image (7).png

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 1, 2022

@Soporte Inlogiq -

Out of the box, there is only one Move Issues permission as a part of the standard permission configuration scheme.  (It is the first one listed in your image).

For the 2nd one listed, it is not the standard permission set and I believe it must been introduced in your env via some other add-ons.

To control who can move issues among projects, then you just need to focus on the first "Move Issues" permission.  However, you should find out where the 2nd one is coming from in your system.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events