Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit external users to only one project portal

Josh Firkser April 7, 2023

We have several service desk projects with many external users each.

Our goal is to have anyone be able to access a specific project portal link, create an account (if needed), submit a ticket, but then only be able to see the issues for the project they submitted for.

This seems like it should be straightforward, but I am finding the only ways to limit external users to one project is to restrict access to each project, then manually add the users we want to each project. There are too many external users flowing in and out for us to manage that.

2 answers

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2023

@Josh Firkser -

I would recommend you to consider the following option - This will give you the control on what project(s) that users can see via the portal UI.  NOTE - You will need to apply it to each project individually to control the project visibility.

1) Access Project settings >> Customer permissions

2023-04-05_10-33-18.png

Once it is done, only the users who are added in in each project will see the project in the UI, and thus have the ability to create issues against it via the portal UI.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

I've seen that setting and my issue is, we are not able to manually add customers to each project, there are too many and some might be unknown until they need to submit an issue.

0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 7, 2023

Hi @Josh Firkser ,

These are settings that are available when permitting access to the portals:

• Anyone allowed on the site’s approved domains

• Anyone on the web

• Anyone on specific domains

• Anyone with an account on the site

If you can use one of these options, then you shouldn't need to add each one to the each project. Below is the documentation

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/change-project-customer-permissions/

-Ben

This setting only solves half the problem. We would like for "Anyone on the web" to be an option, but then when those people access their portal they can easily see our other service projects.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events