cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letting managers see open tickets in the portal

Zane Bartlett January 6, 2022

Hello,

So two main questions
1. Is there a way to group people within a project so that they can view each other's tickets?
2. Is there a way to restrict those groups so that the manager of the group can see the member's tickets, but the members can't see each other's?

Context
We have our staff using the portal to stay up to date on where IT is with their tickets. Something we were wanting to try to do was let our mangers see their teams tickets. I believe that this can be achieved by putting each department into an organization, but am unsure. Then, one thing that I would like to know if this is possible, is if there would be anyway to restrict it just so that the manager can see the team's tickets, but not necessarily that everyone in the team can see each other's tickets.

2 answers

5 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2022

Hello @Zane Bartlett

Thank you for reaching out to the Atlassian Community!

On Jira Service Management, there are three roles for customers: reporter, request participant, and member of an organization.

With this said, to answer your questions:

Is there a way to group people within a project so that they can view each other's tickets?

Yes, by adding them to Organizations. 

When a ticket is created by a customer and they share the ticket with the organization, everyone on that specific org will be able to view the ticket in the customer portal.

Is there a way to restrict those groups so that the manager of the group can see the member's tickets, but the members can't see each other's?

No, everyone in a group/organization will be able to view the tickets.

In this case, the best option is to add the manager as a request participant on the ticket. 

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Zane Bartlett January 7, 2022

Thank you for you quick response!

Is there anyway to easily automate a manager as a request participant when someone on their team submits a ticket?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2022

Hi Zane,

It’s possible to use automation for that, but it depends on how it’s identified the manager of the reporter.

Are they using a custom field and selecting their manager on the request form in the portal? 

Is it identified by their domain or by department?

Here is a simple example of an automation rule:

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 11.34.37.png

Zane Bartlett January 10, 2022

Hi Angelica,

Preferably, Our IT would like to be able to create and manage department groups somewhere in JSM so that when a member in a department adds a ticket, the manager can see the ticket. It seems like the best way to do this is to add the manager as a request participant, as you describe above.

I see you have a rule for when "Department equals HR", but I'm unsure what you're doing to create the department. If I know how to do that, I think I will be able to do this!

Thank you again!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 11, 2022

Hello Zane,

That Department field is just a custom field I created to test. You can create, for example, a Select list (single choice) custom field and add all departments as an option for the customer to select, and then use this custom field for the automation to check.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 09.05.41.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 09.06.02.png

Zane Bartlett January 11, 2022

Hi Angelica,

We would prefer to not make the person submitting the ticket indicate each time what department they are in. To sum up below, is it possible to restrict it so that people can not see each other's tickets within the same organization?

If so, I think it would be possible to create each department as an organization, then create a rule -

when someone makes a ticket and they are a part of "x" organization, it adds "y" request participant? Which in this case we would just have be the manager of each department.

I know you said with organizations, customers can see each other's tickets within the organization, but is it possible to turn this off? I know that you can turn off notifications within organization, so I imagine it would be possible to do this as well?

If I'm able to restrict it so that no member's of a department can't see each other's tickets, and aren't notified, but triggers a rule that will add a request participant (being their manager), then that would work!

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 12, 2022

Hi Zane,

It’s only possible to turn off the notifications for Organizations, but if a customer accesses the portal, they will be able to view the ticket that was shared. 

There is a feature request suggesting improvements for that:

5 votes
Bastian Stehmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2022

Hi @Zane Bartlett ,

Welcome to the community. 

I think Issue Security is what you need.

With that you can define security levels and these levels are controlling, who can see the issue.

You could for example create a level, where only the assignee and the manager are added.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/configure-issue-security-schemes/

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events