Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legal project templates don't allow for Kanban boards?

Gregory Muir September 29, 2022

I'm usually more of a helpdesk user. We use the kanban-style project for our ticketing. 

We have a legal team wanting to set up contract reviews as a project. There's a template for that but I see that there's no way to add boards to that -- if you want boards, you are going to be setting up a completely different project type. 

The only problem is they like the way the kanban boards look when they see our ticketing system and want to have that for themselves. Now we could always set them up as a software project instead and then rename the issues to more fit contracts but I'm wondering if there might be a better solution. Is there a way to add boards to different project types? Is there a better way of getting a view on the existing tasks and  where they sit in the workflow?

1 answer

1 vote
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2022

@Gregory Muir -

In a JSM project, as you already find out/know, it is not meant for managing issues via boards.  It is using queues for issue management.  However, you can still create a Kanban board and associate it with your JSM project.  Please follow the steps below in the KB and try it out -

https://confluence.atlassian.com/cloudkb/creating-a-kanban-board-for-a-jira-service-management-project-1001823609.html

There is also an outstanding enhancement request filed with Atlassian on providing a better way to allow board creation against JSM projects. - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-8389

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Gregory Muir September 29, 2022

Thanks! I will give that a shot.

Is there a reason why they don’t use boards to manage? I find it tremendously useful but I might be biased from the background I come from. Would legal eagles have a preference for doing it another way?

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2022

@Gregory Muir -

JSM is not Jira Software, thus it is by design that currently boards are not available by default for JSM projet.

If my solution helped, please click on Accept answer when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events