Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira creates corrupt cookie that breaks multiple websites

Phil Tull February 16, 2021

I was evaluating Jira Service Managment last week.  Along the way, some Jira product installed a cookie on my browser without my permission.  The cookie is "ajs_anonymous_id".

The cookie begins and ends with the %22 character, which triggers some firewalls (Sophos UTM) to think this is a SQL Injection attack.

The end result is I spent all weekend troubleshooting why my browser (Brave) was unable to access ANY of our internal systems, and was getting locked out of resources for possible SQL Injection attacks.

Question: is anyone familiar with this cookie and is the source Jira?  I'm seeing conflicting evidence on this.

1 answer

0 votes
Phil Tull February 16, 2021

OK, I confirmed that this is coming from Jira.

I deleted the help-desk widgets from all my web sites, and I had to manually go and delete the Jira cookies from browsers.  Systems are back up now.

Atlassian: you are using illegal and unconventional characters in your cookie.  You are breaking applications.

First, why are you putting %22 at the beginning and ending of the cookie value?

Second, WHY is there such a cookie AT ALL?  This appears to be an attempt to track people who do not want to be tracked.  Am I wrong?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events