Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Ticket from email does not create a new ticket, it only appends the old ticket.

jmercado April 11, 2023

Hello All,

Does anyone of you encountered or experienced this?

For example, I would send an email to external client and I would cc my JIRA email because I want it to auto creates a ticket in my JIRA project.

My subject for example is: Vendor Set Up  SAP - ABC Company. It will create a ticket afterwards. 

However, when I send a new email for another vendor, my subject would be "Vendor Set Up  SAP - XYZ Company". I noticed that instead of creating a brand new ticket since the subject is unique, it only appends the other ticket which is for the XYZ company. So now my email to the other vendor (xys) is being added (as a comment) to the previous ticket (abc company). 

Do you know why this is happening and how can I counter this?

My email subject works like a template but the company name keeps changing, so that should be separate ticket for each. 

Can you share some thoughts on this, please?

Thanks,

J Mercado

1 answer

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

@jmercado -

Based on my experience, your custom email handler setup should works as defined in the following Atlassian documentation - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-issues-and-comments-from-email/  (Look for the section starting with "Custom email handlers"

Please look at your custom email handlers configurations to detect the possible problem.  In your described case, the email to become a comment of an existing issue is because the issue key is found in the email subject line.

Hope this helps

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

jmercado April 12, 2023

Thank you. I am using Issue Key and it works for some of my emails. but if I am not using an issue key (since it's fresh email), then there is nothing to detect yet, supposed to be. That's why I am confused why it is going to the ticket when I am not adding issue key in the email subject. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events