Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Service management - How to set default assignee by each ""request type""

Jira Customer July 26, 2022

Hello, 

I am new to Jira Service Management, about the default assignee. I know how to set it for each Project. But I don't know how to set it by each ""request type"" as below:

For example:

Get IT Help -> Default Assignee A

Onboard new employees -> Default Assignee B

Request a new account -> Default Assignee C

jr1.png

Thanks and Best Regards,

Mr. Lee

1 answer

1 vote
Michael Hodgson August 15, 2022

Hi Mr Lee

I'm not aware of setting a default assignee per "request type" specifically, although I understand you can do this via post-functions through the workflow, but I can see this wouldn't work in your case as you have the issue type all the same as "service request".

You have a few options really:

- Through Jira components

- Through Jira automation rules

These are the first that spring to mind there may be a better way of course :)

Components:

Components can be used to pick up a default assignee - so you could have 3 different components that relate to those request types, each with your specific "default assignee"

First off:

- Navigate into the Jira project

- Project settings > components

- Select or create the component you want to use (e.g. like onboarding) - and consider setting the component lead as your assignee, and the 'default assignee' as the component lead

- You can then, navigate back to the project settings > request type

- Under the "request form" tab - add the field of Components here

- Select the drop-down arrow next to components and select use preset value and hide from portal (this means that whenever a ticket is created, users/clients won't see this field but it will be automatically populated on creation)

- Set the component you require, e.g. "onboarding" 

- Save changes

- Repeat for the other request types (setting the other component names appropriately)

preset component.png

The outcome:

- A ticket is created by you or a client, selecting one of the three request types

- The ticket is created

- The component is automatically populated based on your preset value on issue view

- The default assignee on the component then kicks in, and changes the "assignee" field to your chosen component lead/default assignee

Automation:

You could set up an automation rule to say something like

- Trigger - Issue created

- Condition - 'Issue fields condition' or an 'If / else condition' > Request type = get IT hep

- Action - Assign to %specify-user% (or users, depending on your use case)

The outcome:

- A ticket is created with one of those request types

- Automation kicks in triggered on issue created

- It matches the condition to say Request type = onboard new employees (as an example)

- The action then fires, and assigns to the appropriate user/users you have specified

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events