Jira Service Management and Jira Software integration different sites

Marcello Mirenda December 9, 2021

Hello,

the documentation states that "Jira Service Management and Jira Software can be added to the same cloud site for optimal integration benefits.".

Unfortunately I have a site for "JIra Service Management" (eg. https://mysite.atlassian.net and another site for "Jira Software" (eg. https://myothersite.atlassian.net).

I tried to create a link from JSM to JS but I didn't see the JS tickets.

Is it possible to have the integration working for this situation as well ?

Thanks,

Marcello

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 10, 2021

Hi Marcello,

In order to leverage this integration, you really need to have both Jira Service Management and Jira Software installed to the same site.  In your case, it sounds like you have two different Cloud sites.  I would suggest that you migrate the data from one of these sites to the other in order to be able to get the optimal integration here.

You can create a support ticket for a migration by going to https://support.atlassian.com/contact Choose Migration support > and choose option of Cloud to Atlassian Cloud.

Billy Richmond January 26, 2022

Hi, @Andy Heinzer is this the best option or the only option

We plan to implement JSM as our primary customer-facing incident management tool for our Level 1 and Level 2 teams (service desk and production support, respectively). 

Our existing Jira Software (JS) implementation is primarily for Level 3 (product and engineering teams) and is not customer-facing. However, governance around JS is not as strict as it must be for JSM. We do not have the time to implement proper governance at the site level as JS is already a distinct part of the Level 3 workflows, and their processes, security, fields, screen configurations, etc., will be very different from JSM. 

Is it feasible to use something like Jira Automation to integrate between two sites, one for JSM and one for JS, to allow us the ability to enforce governance at the site level for JSM? 

For example, we need the Priority field in both JS and JSM. However, they are used in different ways between the two. Trying to fit one into the other or creating an overly contrived custom field, (e.g., Dev_Priority), just seems like an administration nightmare in the long run.

The integration would likely be as simple as:

1. creating issues in JS from JSM
  2. getting status updates from JS back to (visible in) JSM (maybe as an internal comment?)
  3. ability to add comments in one that is sent to the other for bi-directional communication between Level 1/2 and Level 3 (also as internal comments?)

Frankly, the current JS implementation has the JSM project team's head spinning trying to untangle the years of what's been built, but should we even be bothering?  

Thanking you in advance,

Billy

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 27, 2022

My suggestion to merge these into a single Cloud site, but that said this is not the only option.  But I still feel it tends to be the preferred option.  The main reason for this is that in order for your Jira Software licensed users to be able to view and internal comment to Jira Service management issue, those users need to consume a license seat. 

When you have both a Jira Software license and a Jira Service Management license on the same instance, your developers don't need to also consume a JSM Agent license just to view or internal comment on that issue.  But if separate the JSW and JSM licenses into different sites, those JSW users won't have a license in the JSM site.  So there is a cost of user accounts to manage in a separate setup.  This is also explained in Involve Jira Software or Jira Core users.  Granted that is a Server/Data Center document, but the same concept applies to our Cloud sites.

I'm not sure I can speak towards the concerns you might have in regards to governance.  I would expect that JSM will have a completely different set of workflows, field configurations, permission, etc.  But much of that is expected to be different just between the two Jira Products of Jira Service Management and Jira Software.

That said, you can use features such as automation in Jira in order to send a webrequest aka webhook to another application/site.  But this is a considerably more complex setup to have to manage between the sites than it would be to have these projects on the same site.  While this can be useful for your #1, for #2 and #3 that is a complex setup in automation to setup.  It might be possible, I have not fully explored the possibility.

It might be worth creating a support ticket with our team over in https://support.atlassian.com/contact in order better investigate the needs here of your organization.

Cheers,

Andy

Like Billy Richmond likes this
Billy Richmond January 29, 2022

Thanks, @Andy Heinzer, for the very detailed explanation. Your points around licensing costs, visibility, and the additional complexity make perfect sense.

Regards,

Billy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events