Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Service Management and G Suite

Pierre Herman February 13, 2021

Hi,

I am using Google G suite and I want to use an email address to be used with Jira Service Management. It looks like a nightmare because of Google.
Everybody seems to be using different words for different things (Groups, Shared mailboxes, lists,... and on and on).

My point is fairly simple. Does Jira Service Management need a dedicated MAILBOX to be able to work. In Googles terms a mailbox is associated with a user account. Do I need to create a dedicated user on Google G suite. If yes, has someone any valuable knowledge to share to help me in the crazy Google G suite jungle?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2021

Hi @Pierre Herman ,

The short answer is - No , you dont require a dedicated user account for Google G Suite to work with Jira Service Management ( Cloud).

Customers can raise JSM tickets by directly sending email to an email id. There is a default one provided by JSM project, however in case you need to customize it, you can do so by associating  a custom email account 

Kindly refer to the help documentation for further details - https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/receive-requests-from-an-email-address/

BR

Ajay

Pierre Herman February 14, 2021

Hi Ajay,

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Actually it is informative but leaves me with the same question... And I understand that it is most probably not an issue with Jira Service Management at all. But I have been struggling with this for several weeks and even asked a freelance consultant to clarify... No joy.

When you mention "A custom email ID"... Are you talking about an actual "mailbox"... Because in this case Google is VERY unclear about what a "shared mailbox" is or can do... 

I have a team responsible for support... My customers should be able to send email to support@mydomain.com (not the real domain)... It is really nice from Atlassian to provide an email address for tests purpose but it doesn't look professional...

So I am asking again if someone has successfully setup JSM with Google G Suite and if yes, how?

I have spent countless hours reading the VERY confusing Google documentation (a real torture) and watched a gazillion videos on Youtube about the very random concepts of "groups" and "shared mailboxes"... It is really atrocious and I am sorry to ask again here but nobody has yet provided a detailed documentation on how to do it.

Just to clarify, if I need to setup a user and pay the extra money fort the mailbox so be it!
It is not a matter of cost but rather of documentation.

I have reached the point where I am considering a full migration of my domain to Microsoft 365.

Like Stuart Capel - London likes this
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 14, 2021

Hi @Pierre Herman 

Customizing the email address to your domian should be straightforward. Refer to the video which I have created showing the key steps involved

https://youtu.be/qb-hFt__yMw

BR

Ajay

Pierre Herman February 14, 2021

Ajay! 
You saved my life!

Thanks a million, this is exactly what I needed.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events