Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Automation - Creating Subtasks and Copying Values from Parent Not Working

JM April 13, 2022

I created a rule which creates a number of subtasks when an issue meeting JQL conditions is created. 

JIRA Automation has logic built-in to allow subtask creation which should copy field values from the parent, but I have not been able to get this to work correctly.

I have verified the custom fields I am copying values from the parent onto the subtask have the required issue types/project in the context.

drxMcA6uZ4.png

When the rule runs (currently the trigger is manual for testing), the audit provides the following:

Create issue
Can't find issue to copy from
customfield_10703, customfield_10706
Issues created successfully
OTS-2481
I've tried setting the Parent Issue as both the Current Issue and Trigger Issue and have the same result. Why is it unable to find the parent issue?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2022

Hi @JM , 

the current issue and trigger issue are the same in this case, so this should not matter. 

However, you are setting the fields as well, before creating the sub-task (and thus, before it even has a parent). 

Map the fields employee name,... to the trigger issue as well, (same as you do with the parent issue field). Then it wil copy the values and create the subtask correctly. 

Hope this helps. 

- Tessa

JM April 13, 2022

Hi Tessa, 

Thanks for your response. I understand current issue / trigger are the same, was just looking to test any variation to see if I could enrich the subtasks successfully.

I don't quite follow what you're suggesting. The two fields I attempted to copy from the parent are present at issue creation on the parent. Where would I map them from the trigger? Or should I just create a second rule to copy the values from parent since copying values at subtask creation fails

Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2022

Hi @JM , 

no worries, I'm going to list my assumptions and the conclusions I made, please lt me know if any are wrong ;) 

• information available:
    • you are creating a subtask
    • the trigger issue is going to be mapped as the parent of the subtask you are creating
    • the trigger issue has info you want to copy to the new subtask
  • Actions you should take
    • create subtask action with automation
    • map "Parent" -> "Trigger issue"
    • map info -> "Copy from Trigger issue"

When the info is looked up, the sub-task isn't created yet, so it doesn't have a parent yet, but it still knows the trigger issue. You can use that existing link to get you info. 

It would look like this: 

Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 17.57.51.png

Please let me know if I mis understood this. 

- Tessa

Like # people like this
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2023

Hi @JM , 

I got notified of your like, nice to track back to this question! 
Has it worked out for you? 

If so, please do not hesitate to still accept the answer so others can find solutions to similar problems easier. 

Have a great day! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events