Jira Automation - Copy Custom Field from linked issue to Parent

admin-nwalter April 5, 2023

Hello all,

Is it possible to copy a customfield from a linked issue back to the parent? Here is the scenario.

Ticket A has a customfield A. Ticket A has a linked task ticket called Ticket B that also has customfield A.

The desired result is that if Ticket B hits a certain status, automation will then copy the customfield A from Ticket B to the Customfield A field of Ticket A. 

Is it possible to set this up?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2023

Hello @admin-nwalter 

It sure is! What you are looking for is an automation that triggers on a status change and then, for every linked issue, copies the value of the parent.

Something like this should do the trick. Of course, change the field to copy (use the three dot button to change from set to copy).

Screenshot 2023-04-05 at 19.52.53.png

Is this what you are looking for?

admin-nwalter April 6, 2023

Dear @Paul Wiggers , 

It maybe because of the way I worded the request or maybe I am misunderstanding your answer. The screenshot you posted looks like it will copy the the value of the parent to the linked issue. 

But what I am looking for is for the value of the linked issue to be copied over to the parent. So it's vice versa. If the ticket hits a certain status, it will copy over that value to the "Parent".

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 6, 2023

In JSM, there is no real parent - child connection. Issues are just linked together. So, this will go both ways and can be manged by type of link, type of transition or some other restraints that you choose to put in place before performing the action.

It makes a lot of sense when you put it like that, but I never connected the dots that it could also work like that.  I created the automation but I think this is going work. Thanks for the answer @Paul Wiggers !

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 6, 2023

Good to hear! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to post them to the community.

Take care!

1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 5, 2023

Hello @admin-nwalter 

How are the two tickets linked? Are you using generic issue linking functionality? Or are you working with Epics that have child issues, or issues that have child subtasks?

If you are using generic issue linking, are you using a unique link type for the relationship such that Ticket B has one and only one issue linked to it with the link type?

Dear Trudy,

Apologies, in hindsight I should've included this info. This is regarding a Company-Managed Project. Ticket A is a regular service request acting as the "Parent". Ticket B is a Task ticket linked to Ticket A.

There is no unique link type of any kind.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events