JSM request updated in phases for new hiring onboarding process

Leigh Elliott August 28, 2022

We have a new employee onboarding process where a JSM request type called "Onboard Employee" has been created and is available from the customer portal.  This type view has a Jira Form linked to it with IT related questions that need to be answered to help confirm the new employees requirements (ie new IT equipment, access to corporate systems and applications etc).

Is there a way for our HR team to submit a case in JSM for a new hire and then against the same issue# trigger a process where the hiring manager is prompted to complete a form that asks IT questions related to the new starter.  We want to avoid the situation where more than one issue is logged for the same new starter.  We also want to ensure that the questions asked of the hiring manager are consistent every time (ie no manual steps or copying and pasting questions etc).

Essentially looking for a proper end to end onboarding workflow where different stakeholders can be added to the issue at the right phase of the request without needing to create separate JSM issues and without manual steps.

Is there any advice on how this could be done cleanly within JSM? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2022

Hi, 

Jira is made for that actually... You can build your own workflow, and conditions, validators and post function on transitions and also screens on transitions. 

With the proper project setup you can build almost what you want... I'm working as an Atlassian consultant and this is a part of my daily job for my customers ;) 

You can have a on theses links to learn about how to customize workflows and screens and all projects configs in Jira Software / JSM : 

I hope this helps a bit.

Dam. 

Leigh Elliott August 30, 2022

Hi Dam,

Thank you for providing this information.  Unfortuntately standard workflow functionality is probably not going to provide what I think we need here.

Ideally I would love there to be a way to have HR log an issue with our IT Service Desk, populate some of the basic new starter information and then when the IT Service Desk triage the issue they have a way to send an email via JSM (ie not manually) to the hiring manager to have them complete the missing information against the same issue (via an online form), ie have the issue populated in "phases" with different people providing different information.  

I don't think JSM can provide this out of the box without introducing another application to the onboarding process or maybe a plug-in?  

Really interested in what other companies do here.

Leigh Elliott August 30, 2022

We are going to have a play around with adding an external form to an existing Jira issue to see if this gives us what we need.

Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2022

@Leigh Elliott there is no need of an app for that, you can use assignee field and notifications to change the ownership of a task and asking someone to do something depending on a status, and notify by email this person... 

Dam.

Josh Schoenick March 12, 2024

But that requires a paid agent license vs a free customer license doesn't it @Dam ?

Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 19, 2024

@Josh Schoenick to edit Jira configurations you need to be admin in Jira, with a user account that can be free depending on your plan... for an agent account in JSM there is a free plan also, customer account cannot manage Jira projects and configs for sure. 

0 votes
Karyna Tyrnavska _SaaSJet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 31, 2022

Hi, @Leigh Elliott !

We have a useful article about Onboarding in Jira, check it. Hope, you`ll find some tips for your team

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events