JSM → Software - Transition to duplicate and synchronise tasks

Dennis Orban March 29, 2022

Hello all!

I´m looking for a proper solution to duplicate and synchronise tasks automatically between JSM and Jira Software.

We are using the free plan JSM atm and want to keep it like that. Therefor we need to duplicate and synchronise every incoming task from JSM to our existing Jira Software instance.

Does anyone know a proper solution? Maybe any AddOns you can suggest?

I already checked the "Elements Copy&Sync" but it´s not possible to use it over different instances..

Deep Clone would be a solution to clone tasks but there we do not have an option to synchronise automatically.

Otherwise I have to configure it all by myself via the automation (trough APIs)

Thanks in advance!!

BR

4 comments

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2022

Hi @Dennis Orban ,

Our JSM DC instance and our JSW DC instance are not on the same instance. So what we did is acquire Backbone to allow us to create and synchronize a JSM issue. We don't synchronize everything because the workflow and automation in JSM is complex BUT we create the issue in JSW, so the Product owner can see all of his/her backlog in one place.

You will need 2 Backbone licence, one for JSM and one for JSW

Carmen

Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this
Katarzyna Szumilas_Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 29, 2022

Hi @Dennis Orban

As Carmen already suggested, there are a few Marketplace 3rd party apps that allow you to integrate Jira Service Management and Jira Software across multiple instances and hostings.

I'm part of the team responsible for Issue Sync - Synchronization for Jira. Our plugin allows you to integrate Jira Service Management and Jira Software on Server/ DC and Cloud. It creates issues in remote projects automatically and keeps them in sync also when their data (as field values, statuses, or comments) change.

If that sounds interesting to you, feel free to test the app with our 30 days long trial. Might you have any questions about the product - we are here to help!

Kasia from Deviniti

Syed Majid Hassan -Exalate-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 30, 2022

Hi @Dennis Orban

This is Majid @ Exalate.

To continue the trend already set up, please feel free to review our add on Exalate. It seems that the caveats you mentioned already are fully addressed in Exalate i.e. the bi-directional sync and automation. The solution can be implemented within minutes and allows you very granular control on the data being shared between the 2 instances. 

If you would like to see a customized demo of the product, please book a slot with us. 

Thanks

Majid

Dennis Orban March 30, 2022

Hi @Syed Majid Hassan -Exalate- 

if I use JSM with Jira Forms (former ProForma AddOn), is the form also beeing synchronised between two different instances?

Best regards
Dennis

Syed Majid Hassan -Exalate-
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2022

Hi @Dennis Orban

Not the form itself, but the fields contained therein should be synchronized over. We would need to see the use case and implementation a little more detail though for a detailed answer.

Hope it helps.

Thanks

Majid

Natalya Ozhigova April 25, 2022

Hi @Dennis Orban 

What about automation with webhook? 

At first rule in JSM project: trigger - issue created and action  - Send web request.

You can post all required data to the web request.

The second rule in the your software project

trigger - incoming webhook

action - create issue

For updating you can create similar rules. It looks a bit tricky but it works for free jira without any limitation.

Hope it help you

Best regards

Natalya

Dennis Orban April 25, 2022

Hi @Natalya Ozhigova ,

that was also our first thought. But after configuring some webhooks I realized, that it would be much easier and less prone to errors if we use a proper application. There are enough on the market.

Right now I will try to configure the synchronisation with Backbone.

BR Dennis

Like # people like this
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2022

@Dennis Orban, if you need help setting it up, let us know via help@k15t.com.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Member of the Backbone team.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events