Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA Automation - Send emails to each user with a summary

christophe demez September 27, 2022

Hi,

I have a custom field that ( can ) contains one or multiple user names.
I call it "Reminders", it can be equals to "Tom, Mark, Juan", to tag 3 guys.

I'm looking to build an automation rule that send one email to each of theses guys,
with a summary of all the issues they are tagged to.

I've tried... but can find a way to do this, I find no way to group the per user and have the list of issues. Am I right ? It is impossible to do ?

2 answers

0 votes
Boris Berenberg - Modus Create September 29, 2022

If you're open to trying an app other than Automation, we support this type of configuration in Notification Assistant for Jira. You would set up a notification and configure the relevant custom field as a recipient:

Google Chrome 2022-09-29 at 11.03.47.png

Then configure it to send one email per recipient:

Google Chrome 2022-09-29 at 11.04.52.png

And use a JQL along the lines of 

project = SCRUM and "Single User Picker" is not EMPTY 

And you will get the result you want.

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2022

Hi Christophe,

I would create a rule using If/Then Conditions for each of the people. Then create the generic email and copy it into each of the sections. You will have to modify the same email multiple times if you change it, but it should work this way. 

Or you can create a separate rule for each user. Then if the email changes, change one rule then copy for each person, and change out the condition for each person. Be sure to delete the old rules. 

christophe demez September 28, 2022

Thanks, but there are 1200 persons involved (possible target).
So, it is impossible to manage :-P

I was looking for something more generic, a way to replace the JIRA subscriptions, you see?

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 28, 2022

I am not following your use case. What field are these 3 people in? Is it a custom field? You are not going to be able to send a generic email to everyone that is tagged in a comment on an issue. 

Like christophe demez likes this
christophe demez September 29, 2022

Exactly, I can add any JIRA user from the organization into this field.

Today, I use a "subscription", but:

(1) Peoples are receiving an email from "jira" -> most of the time they filter it with a rule, so they do not see the email. So, I wish to use another email for this use case.

(2) I cannot add an explanation (Guidelines) explaining why they receive it, what to do etc... they just receive a list of issues. I wish to add some content.

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2022

So, have you tried to build the automation rule and use the custom field in the To: line?

Do you have a rule built yet? Can you share that? 

christophe demez September 30, 2022

Hi John,

Here is what I tried. But there are 2 problems:
a) It send an email to all the "reminders" emails, ie. the "to" field of the email contains all the emails from all the issues.
b) In this email I have all the issues, and not only the ones for the target person.

Untitled.jpg

Like # people like this
Gisela Lassahn November 30, 2023

Hi @christophe demez ,

have you found a solution for it without using an AddOn?
I've got a very similar problem...

christophe demez November 30, 2023

No @Gisela Lassahn , the solution I have is:

1 - Send a generic email t every peoples in the list. In this email, I have a link to a dashboard.
2 - Create a personal dashboard, there you can have a custom board and query for each peoples. Example: project = SP AND (Reminders = currentuser() OR watcher = currentuser() OR reporter = currentuser()) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Like Gisela Lassahn likes this
Gisela Lassahn November 30, 2023

@christophe demez :

Many thanks, that's a great idea!

I think I'll do it the same way.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events