Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to lock a permission scheme to only allow certain people to edit?

Phillip Jones April 11, 2023

Hello all,

I am curious we have an interesting case where our HR team wants to use Atlassian and JSM specifically to be able to work some HR related tickets.

They are worried about access and since we use our instance in several departments we want to minimize the ability for other site admins to go in and gain access. We only have a handful of site admins but I was wondering if there is a way to "lock" a permissions scheme to only certain people or even force some kind of approval process for changes to it.

I realize this isn't exactly what or how this is supposed to be used but figured I would ask here anyway.

Maybe I should be using Issue security but since its site/org admins they are concerned about it really wouldn't matter one way or another unless I am missing something.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

No, there's no way to do this.  Admins can administrate everything.  But there are some "delegate admin" functions in the pipeline.

It's good that you have a handful of admins, the best way to work here is to keep them in touch with each other, working as a team on admin, and so that they all know where the special cases like your HR projects are.

One very common thing to do is have a Jira support project where you at least track changes for config for your admin team.

HR projects are big users of issue security.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2023

Yes to what Nic says, and I would add that you should put company policy in place that says that Jira Admins should not add themselves to sensitive projects without prior permissions. You can't control if they do, but then it would be grounds for discipline if they add themselves. 

So for the HR project, only the desired admin should be in a project role to administer the project. Do not use the global administrators group. 

2 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 11, 2023

Hi @Phillip Jones,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

On, you cannot "lock" the issue security scheme so only a subset of Jira admins can modify it. Once you have Jira admin permissions you can make changes to it. Atlassian is working on a more granular permission scheme so that might be something that will be available in the future.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events