Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to control who has access to Filters and Advanced Issue Search in JIRA SM Cloud?

Ashraf B November 18, 2021

We want one set of users to access the function "Filters --> Advanced Issue Search" and one set of users to NOT access it. How can we set the permissions for this scenario?
Please suggest.
Thanks in advance...

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2021

Hi @Ashraf B,

There is no control over access to that menu option. There are a couple of things that indirectly impact what users can/can't see, however:

• The filters > search functionality is only available to users with a Jira license. JSM Customers - who can only access tickets through the customer portal - won't have access to this functionality (and essentially to all internal Jira functionality).
  • While people may have access to the search functionality itself, they will only see the issues in projects where they have browse project permission. So rather than trying to disable the search functionality, you could/should review project permissions in your Jira instance.

Hope this helps! 

Ashraf B November 19, 2021

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout 

But, if we go by "...they will only see the issues in projects where they have browse project permission..." So, the users whom I assign the tickets, will neither see the Project, nor the tickets assigned to them under that.
Is that correct?

Regards,
Ashraf

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 19, 2021

Hi @Ashraf B ,

Browse project is a permission that you set for every single project in your Jira instance.

If you have multiple projects in Jira, then you manage access for each project separately. But again: if your project permissions are well defined, people will only be able to view the issues from the projects they have been granted access to.

It is best practice to set project permissions by project roles first, and then by assigning groups to these project roles. You should only create groups for people who need project access. It doesn't make much sense to create groups for people who don't need access, as you won't be using that group anyway.

I would like to recommend you to read about project permissions in this support article to get a deeper understanding.

Ashraf B November 19, 2021

Thanks @Walter Buggenhout _ACA IT_ 

But, if we go by "...they will only see the issues in projects where they have browse project permission..." So, the users whom I assign the tickets, will neither see the Project, nor the tickets assigned to them under that. 'Cause this access grant / denial is required for licensed users who will work on the tickets assigned to them, but they should not access or fetch or download tickets assigned to other users.
Please suggest...

Regards,
Ashraf

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 21, 2021

@Ashraf B hi,

I'll pitch in by saying first of all that @Walter Buggenhout states correctly how Jira works with projects permissions. The latter I strongly believe that is a topic in which you should invest in reading. After reading that I would suggest for you to invest some time reading about issue-level security, which will come in handy, especially about the last sentence of yours "but they should not access or fetch or download tickets assigned to other users.".

• Give your users the browse project permission so that they can see the project (container)
  • Give your user the assignable project permission, so that they can be the assignee of an issue (if you give them this permission, without granting them the browse project permission, it's kind of useless)
  • Create security levels for your issue, and choose which issues/issue types your users can see based on project roles or group already configured by you.

Hope all the above helps.

Ashraf B November 21, 2021

Thanks @Alex Koxaras _Relational_, I've set the Issue Level Security and the users can see and work on only the issues that have been "assigned" to them. 

But, I have observed users can View & Export ALL DATA (their assigned issues as well as issues assigned to other users) through Filter --> Advanced Issue Search

I will re-check if that is the case and if yes, I'm trying to plug that...

Regards,
Ashraf

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2021

Users will be able to see and export all issues to which they have visibility:

• Form the browse project permission
  • And from the corresponding security level

If a user can see something he/she shouldn't then you should revisit your plan. Permissions and issue-level security works flawless (so far).

Ashraf B November 23, 2021

Thanks @Alex Koxaras _Relational_,

The users now see only the Issues assigned to them, and "Closed" & "Completed" issues because JSM didn't allow to "bulk-change" the Issue Security Levels for "Closed" & "Completed" issues...
I may have to do it individually...
Regards,

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 23, 2021

Nice! Kindly mark @Walter Buggenhout answer as accepted, in order to help others in the community.

Regards,

Alex

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events