Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way I can set up automation rule to run in a sequential order?

Madhumita Katta
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 16, 2022

I have these 2 automation rules

Rule 1: Send email to customers when a new public comment is added. 

Rule 2: Update comment visibility to Internal only based on the "internal" tag on the comment. 

I do not see a way to order the automation rules so that Rule 2 always runs before Rule 1. 

Is that possible to do?

If Jira send the email before the comment can be set to Internal Only then the whole purpose of Rule 2 is void. 

3 answers

1 vote
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

Hi @Madhumita Katta - Perhaps you can consolidate the two rules into 1?  I don't have the specifics of your two rules, but perhaps something like this?

• TRIGGER: Issue Commented
  • IF CONDITION: Your internal tag condition
    • Action: Update Comment visibility
  • ELSE CONDITION
    • Action: Send Email
0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2022

It is possible if you make your second rule to trigger on an incoming webhook, you can then trigger the second  rule from the first one using a web request.

0 votes
Carlos Faddul
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2022

@Madhumita Katta you can use two ways to sequence the automations:

• The first: using Actions of send webrequest / incoming webrequest
  • The second: using a custom field to trigger (in the first automation you can flagged the automation to set a specific value, then in the second automation, you can trigger the automation basead on value change)

I hope I helped you.

If this post was helpful, mark it as Accepted Accepted, so you can help others who may have the same difficulties.

If your question has not been resolved, please post again with more details.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events