Is there a quick way to transfer ownership of automation rules, component leads, etc?

Landon Tran September 15, 2021

The person that built our JIRA helpdesk has left the company and the account has since been deleted/disabled. It could be a coincidence but the assignee automation as well as the email responses have since stopped working. I went in and noticed all the rules and components were under ownership of the previous employee.

Is there a way to automatically transfer ownership or would I have to manually do it 1 by 1 for every object I find?

3 answers

2 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2021

Hi Landon, welcome to the community. Unfortunately there is no means of doing this. You will have to go through each place and change.

1 vote
Chris Stival March 17, 2022

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/transfer-jira-automation-rules-from-one-user-to-another/

This seems to cover what you want...I haven't tried it yet, but I'm in a similar situation. I'm a bit wary of doing this because it affects so many automations. If it failed and they all started failing I'd be in a world of hurt. Has any one else used this feature with success?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022

Good find @Chris Stival ! I have not seen that before. I'm sure when it got added I haven't been to that more area in sometime. So glad they added it.

Like Chris Stival likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2022

@Landon Tran , definitely recommend this as "the" answer here.

Chris Stival March 17, 2022

@Jack Brickey yeah this has to be somewhat new. I just sort of tripped over it because the previous system owner asked me about taking his account off of the automations because of the bulk of email that he's been getting. I'm leaning towards bulk changing them to the 'Automation for Jira' user instead of using my own account, to avoid the same problem down the road.

0 votes
Gikku
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2021

@Landon Tran Most importantly, you have to check the 'Actor' for the automation rules. By default, it will be the 'Automation for Jira' user. But in case it got changed, you have to modify it to a user who has permission over the project(s) to perform all the functions that you want the rule to execute. 

You can access the whole list of automation rules created by accessing the link below rather than going through each and every project.

System --> Automation rules --> All rules

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events