Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to take users manager and set it as the approver in JSM Automation?

rohan January 23, 2023

Background: 
I have setup Atlassian Atlas to pull in user details from Okta, this includes their manager. That part is all setup and working, users have correct managers set in Atlassian Atlas. 

Request:
In JSM, is it possible to then set a custom user picker field "Approvers" to default to the users manager that is stored in Atlas. 

Attempts: 
- In JSM Automation, I have tried using 'smart' values, to edit the "Approvers" custom field - however there is none for Atlassian Atlas. 
- I have tried using Okta API workflows to inject in an API call to set customfield = managerID via JSM API. 

I really don't want to buy a market plugin, this must be possible OOB because Atlas has the manager field. 

1 answer

0 votes
Aleksandar Salevski January 31, 2023

Hi Ronan,

Im experiencing the same problem, i have question, did you used  Atlassian Atlas or Access to pull/sunc user manager from Okta, also did you use ScriptRunner to add user manager as approval or other plugin.

BR,

Alex

rohan June 20, 2023

Hey Alex, 

For some reason I never saw your question here. 

I ended up using Okta Workflows with basic Jira API calls to do this. No script runner or additional plugin's, just using JSM approval steps in the workflow.

Being able to call the user (and know their manager from another source) allowed me to then do a PUT request via Jira API 3. I've your using Okta, 10000% use workflows. 

Hope that helps. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events