Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to capture the old and new values for Status and Assigned to Group through Automation

Sreenadh April 27, 2023

Hi,

Is it possible to capture the old and new values for Status and Assigned to Group through Automation configuration just like standard email below?

2.PNG

Please help me out on the same

Thanks,

2 answers

1 vote
Kristopher Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2023

You are looking for the {{fieldchange}} and {{changelog}} smart values. Take a look at those 2 section in the documentation here -

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/jira-smart-values-issues/#--fieldChange--

Here is the syntax

{{#changelog.issuetype}}
  {{fromString}}
{{/}}

and this too:
{{fieldChange.fromString}}

Returns the previous value as displayed.

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

@Sreenadh -

What is your reasoning for capturing the the before/after values?  Generally speaking, those data (changes) are already stored in the Activity tab associated with each issue.

If you have a need to capturing the before/after value, then you will first need to create custom fields to store the before value, associate the fields to your project's issue type(s), expose the fields in the issue screen(s) (In regards to the screens, I would recommend to expose them only for issue view screen)

Afterward, you can create custom automation rule to populate those new fields (i.e.Issue created event) where the initial values are populated, then when those actual (original source) field is changed, you will already have the original field value assignments.

In my opinion, capturing the before and after value is a un-necessary action because the Activity section already contain the field value change history.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Technology Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Iman Attia May 4, 2023

You can use automation based on a JQL;

Status WAS {statusname}

or

If you are wanting to group assign when it goes from one status to another, ie. Initial analysis to > In progress (supreme team)

Create an automation using the transition trigger from one status to another. 

> Action: edit: custom field name: <group assignee>

alternatively, if you wanted to standardise the JSM Workflow, you could use a standard ‘In progress’ status with a transition screen allowing the user to select the group themselves instead.  

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events