Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to assign a user to a department?

SBACTL_JRFontanilla April 27, 2023

I want to generate a report that displays the ticket A department is creating but when I filter it by "Department" it shows no data. now as admin, I want to create a department and manually assign each person to their designated department.

2 answers

0 votes
Kateryna_v_SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 30, 2023

Hi @SBACTL_JRFontanilla 

Unfortunately, for Jira's Standard plan, assigning a ticket to a group is impossible, but if you create a custom field Department, then it can be used for reporting.

2_2023-04-30_8-19-04.png
I know how to do this using SLA Time and Report for Jira, which was developed by my team, so if you are okay with using third-party add-ons, here's a 30-day trial.
4_2023-04-30_8-19-04.png
Follow the steps of the document "How to control SLA using custom fields" and the end of the article "SLA configurations for different Time zones with Custom Fields", which have the same setting logic but a little more helpful information.

For any clarifications, please feel free to ask. I will be happy to assist you.

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

Ηι @SBACTL_JRFontanilla 
Is the "department" a custom field, or an attribute in an asset object?

We don't have custom fields for the department.  But we only have "groups" names after their "department"

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2023

So what do you mean when you say that " I want to create a department and manually assign each person to their designated department."?

I'm sorry for confusing you. Is it possible to create a department without adding custom fields? or just a group? What I mean was Since we don't have custom fields I want to assign the user to a Department so I can generate a report based on "department" and not by the group that I created.

Anyways as of now, my team agrees to use the "group" for report generation. I just want to know if it's possible to manually assign a person to a department for my future use.

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2023

@SBACTL_JRFontanilla One way to assign a user to a department is if you have Assets (premium plan JSM) and you use it to create an attribute to the users which you have added manually of from an AD. But again, this has to be done manually, OR if you sync them from an AD, then you can send this information directly to Assets.

Another way would be to create a custom field for your company's department and populate this field on every ticket based on the assignee of the ticket (or whatever else business requirement you may have). Then you can create a report of tickets based on department.

Hopefully this answers your question.

Like SBACTL_JRFontanilla likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events