Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to Assign a ticket to customer?

Bhoomika June 21, 2021

Use case: I have a ticket assigned to me. Now I need to reassign it to someone in my customer (organisation) list. How do I do this?

3 answers

0 votes
Steve S_ March 8, 2023

This might not be what you are looking for but you could simply share the ticket with the customer (using the "Share with" option) and then update the workflow transition to be available. 

By doing that you can give the customer the ability to transition the ticket (i.e. close it or move it to the next workflow transition).  They can't do anything else though, except add comments.

Notifications could be handled via an automation rule.

0 votes
Alex van Vucht (GLiNTECH)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2021

"Assign" a ticket simply means making clear who has the responsibility for the next steps. JSM makes that clear to a customer with the "Waiting for Customer" status.

The Assignee field is for licensed agents only, and then, by default, only people in the "Service Desk Team" project role. You don't need or want to have customers in this field, because they don't need or have to know your service management processes and procedures.

Bhoomika June 21, 2021

Thank you for this.

However, I do need to escalate/raise the issue to external entity (supplier) which is not a jira user. Is there any workaround? or any other way I can manage this kind of usecase?

Like Brian Fazio likes this
Alex van Vucht (GLiNTECH)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2021

How I've worked around this is use the "Approvals" feature:

1. Create accounts for your external vendors and don't give them licenses.
  2. Make sure these accounts can access your service desk.
  3. Add these accounts into a Jira group, like "External Vendors"
  4. Create a new User (single) custom field, eg. "Assigned External Vendor"
  5. Set the scope of this custom field to only that "External Vendors" Jira group.
  6. Add this field to the screens for your project.
  7. Add this field to your Pending Reason screen.
  8. Update your workflows so that the "Pending" status now has an Approval needed:
    1. Add "Work Completed" transition to use for the Approve - either to Resolved (make sure to set a resolution!) or In Progress
    2. Add "Work not completed" transition to use for the Decline - should go back to In Progress
    3. Set the custom field for approvers to "Assigned External Vendor"
  9. Set the customer-visible status to "Assigned to Vendor"
  10. Educate your vendors to click "Approve" once they've done the work.

This way, they will get a "Notify approvers" email when a issue is "assigned" to them. If you don't use approvals otherwise, you can customise the text to outline this process. Hope that helps!

Like Nelson Abbey likes this
0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2021

You can’t set the Assignee to a customer. You would need to make them an agent. 

Hasham Iqbal November 29, 2022

Hi Jack,

Can we reassign a ticket to the customer/initiator if they are a licensed user without making them an agent?

Thanks.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

No you cannot. Only agents can be assigned to JSM issues.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events