Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Is it possible to Assign a ticket to customer?

Use case: I have a ticket assigned to me. Now I need to reassign it to someone in my customer (organisation) list. How do I do this?

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Community Leader Jun 21, 2021

You can’t set the Assignee to a customer. You would need to make them an agent. 

"Assign" a ticket simply means making clear who has the responsibility for the next steps. JSM makes that clear to a customer with the "Waiting for Customer" status.

The Assignee field is for licensed agents only, and then, by default, only people in the "Service Desk Team" project role. You don't need or want to have customers in this field, because they don't need or have to know your service management processes and procedures.

Thank you for this.

However, I do need to escalate/raise the issue to external entity (supplier) which is not a jira user. Is there any workaround? or any other way I can manage this kind of usecase?

Like Brian Fazio likes this

How I've worked around this is use the "Approvals" feature:

1. Create accounts for your external vendors and don't give them licenses.
  2. Make sure these accounts can access your service desk.
  3. Add these accounts into a Jira group, like "External Vendors"
  4. Create a new User (single) custom field, eg. "Assigned External Vendor"
  5. Set the scope of this custom field to only that "External Vendors" Jira group.
  6. Add this field to the screens for your project.
  7. Add this field to your Pending Reason screen.
  8. Update your workflows so that the "Pending" status now has an Approval needed:
    1. Add "Work Completed" transition to use for the Approve - either to Resolved (make sure to set a resolution!) or In Progress
    2. Add "Work not completed" transition to use for the Decline - should go back to In Progress
    3. Set the custom field for approvers to "Assigned External Vendor"
  9. Set the customer-visible status to "Assigned to Vendor"
  10. Educate your vendors to click "Approve" once they've done the work.

This way, they will get a "Notify approvers" email when a issue is "assigned" to them. If you don't use approvals otherwise, you can customise the text to outline this process. Hope that helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Atlympic Event: Jira Service Managemnt

Hello Community!  Quick disclaimer: We are running a contest on Community (The Atlympics!) from July 23rd - August 8th of 2021. If you are interested in participating in this contest (prizes! ...

186 views 0 4
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you