Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Is is possible to make a section of a Form, required based on status?

I have a Form that we attach to all tickets in this project, and within the Form I would like certain sections to be required based on status. In this project the ticket moves through certain stages based on progress of the ticket, and some sections aren't required to be filled out at the beginning of the process, but are later on. Is this possible?

thanks for your time!

Rob c. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

@robert cortez -

If the WF status is used in determining what fields are needed to be filled, then you will need to customize your WF within each appropriate transition (i.e. In Progress move into In Review etc) to control this functionality - adding "validator" (making fields as required)

You will need to create WF transition screen with those fields added to it, then associate your transition with the screen.  This screen will pop-up with the window when user moves the issue status.

In general - Form configuration will not work, as it is only used when creating issue and not used after the issue is created.

Hope this helps and makes sense.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

I have created the screen and the transition in the work flow, but I am struggling to associate the transition with the field. I cant find it in the 'validator' so im not sure what part I am missing. 

@robert cortez -

In WF customization,  this what you need to do 

1) associate your custom screen for the WF to your WF transition.

2) for the specific transition, click on the "validator" tab.

3) add an validator action in the "validator" tab

2022-08-25_7-13-28.png

4) select the field that you want to enforce.  This means that if the field is not populated, then the transition will not be allowed.

2022-08-25_7-13-52.png

5) save and publish your WF.

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph

its when choosing the 'fields required for this transition' when I add a validator, that I cannot find the field I want to make required. So I feel like I am missing some connection in all of this, to get that field to populate inside of the fields required. Or maybe I am misunderstanding something.

also thanks for your time with this, I really appreciate it

@robert cortez -

Did you created the custom field and assigned it to your project in question?  Secondly, if this is a field only created in your FORM configuration, then it will not work.  The custom field is fields created within the Jira/JSM systems.

Secondly, Is your project a Team managed or Company managed project type?

Please advise.

Best, Joseph

yea it is just inside of the form, now where else in jira. in which case, the user on this request may just have to deal with it as is. 

its a team managed project type

joseph, thanks again for your time and expertise. 

HI, @robert cortez !

For instance, you can use Form Logic for this case and build a dynamic form with if/then that will show/hide some fields due to the rule you have set before. 

Try out Forms & Checklists for Jira that has been developed by my team to solve your case.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events