Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insight filter issue scope doesn't work with field from the Jira field

Petar Milavić April 27, 2022

Hi all,

I'm using a custom insight object on Jira issues. Insight object's attribute "Name" has the same value as a "Description" field on the issue. I want to make a filter that will show only Insight objects that have the same name as the description on that issue.

If I use the hardcoded value Name = "Test value" in the Filter issue scope (IQL) that works fine, but It is not working if I try to use something like this 

Name = ${Description} or

Name = ${description} or some other field that is populated with the same value

Name = ${customfield_12345.name} or

Name = ${customfield_12345}

I'm trying to do this on Jira Cloud. Do you have any ideas about what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you.

3 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andrea
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 27, 2022

Hi all! 

You can find a list of all the issue fields that are supported by Filter Issue Scope IQL here in the documentation: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/configure-the-insight-object-field/

You're right that Description is not one of the supported fields which is why this IQL isn't working.

This is the first case I've heard of wanting to use the Description field specifically, but there have been requests for other custom fields to be supported by Filter Issue Scope (which are collated on this feature request https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-10185). 

You can use the summary, so if that works with your workflow it would be my recommendation (but I realise it may not be ideal). Otherwise you can try a Component field or an Insight custom field to store the value.

Best,

Andrea

Petar Milavić April 28, 2022

Hi @Andrea ,

Yes, it works with summary, thank you, but this is not a solution for me, I'll try to find a workaround. I hope that  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-10185 will be accepted and implemented soon.

BR, Petar

Petar Milavić May 10, 2022

Hi @Andrea ,

I have additional issue with project id/name expression. I tried this: 

Filter issue scope (IQL): objectType = "General catalog" AND Category = ${customfield_17287.label} AND Client IN (${pid.label})

and this:

Filter issue scope (IQL): objectType = "General catalog" AND Category = ${customfield_17287.label} AND Client IN (${pid.id})

but nothing works.

The insight field "Client" is a select attribute with multiple values.

Insight custom field is available on the issue edit screen and I want to get the list of the objects for the current project only.

Can you help me, please?

Thank you,

BR, Petar

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2022

@Petar Milavić -

I agreed with what @Mark Segall has mentioned - especially his latest response.  In my opinion, Description field is a multi-line text field, thus trying use it in IQL is not ideal.

Just like if you try to conduct a JQL against Description field, you are only able to use (~, !~, IS, and IS NOT) operators.  In IQL, have you try using the "like" operator?

I have implemented similar setup in our env, however it was against a Jira custom field (single value dropdown list)  - example: "Site Name" IN ${customfield_21507.name}.  

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Hi @Joseph Chung Yin 

I tried using LIKE on Description, tried with custom field, LIKE with custom field (that one returned all objects) but no luck :-(

Thank you, BR

Petar

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2022

@Petar Milavić -

I am sure it is has to do with the Description data type that causes the issue.  At this time, I would recommend you to contact Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com) to allow Insight product team to provide further assistance.

Lastly, have you try to test out if against a custom field that is not a text field?

I would love to hear back on what they have to say.

Best, Joseph

Like Mark Segall likes this
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2022

@Petar Milavić -

My assumption is correct that Description Jira field is not supported for IQL (as mentioned by @Andrea from Atlassian team.

Hope this resolve your ask.  If you have a chance, please click on Accept Answer in our suggestions.

Best, Joseph

Like Mark Segall likes this
1 vote
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2022

Hi @Petar Milavić - Out of curiosity, Is this on the create screen where you're trying to establish the lookup?  If so, I'm not sure it will work this way.  As I understand it, you can create a filter issue scope against other insight fields or ${reporter}.  The reason for this is that as you're creating the issue, a field like Description hasn't actually been recorded until after the issue has been created. 

To test this out, try creating the issue then add the Insight object on the newly created issue.  If you see the value, your filter query is working, just limited to only being accessible after the issue has been created.

Hi @Mark Segall , 

no, I tried to do that before, but I realized that it is not possible, so I found a complicated workaround for my process,

Now I'm trying to filter it on the created issue, It should be simple but it doesn't work.

Insight object:Capture1.PNG

Created issue:

Capture2.PNG

Insight object:

Capture3.PNG

BR, Petar

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2022

Hmm... I'm stumped on this one.  Theoretically, what you have here makes sense.  I'm reaching here, but maybe there's some limitation of using the Description field. I would try testing with a custom field. 

Create a custom field and add the description text to it and change your Filter Issue Scope against the custom field to see if that works.

Hi @Mark Segall 

I tried with the custom field but it doesn't work. I'll try to use IN operator or something similar.

Thank you, BR

Petar

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events