Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insight CSV import

Bart Van Mol October 5, 2022

I do not succeed in realizing the following use case:

1) Import Objects from CSV => ok first time

2) Edit CSV with a) Objects removed b) Object attributes updated

Expected result:

- For the objects that are removed: update the standard STATUS attribute to Inactive

- For the other objects: update the corresponding attribute.

The result I get is nothing...

I tried to find a more comprehensive description about how to edit object type mapping, but did find only some basis article where even Threshold is not explained (so eg. for this one also I do not understand what the usage is.

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2022

Hi @Bart Van Mol

There are four steps when importing your data into Insight:

1. Prepare your data.

2. Create an import structure;

3. Map your data. There are two options:

1. Map your data automatically by automatically creating object types and attributes, or;

2. Map your data manually by:

1. Using object type mapping to create Insight object types

2. Using object type attribute mapping to create Insight attributes and references

3. Using child object type mapping to create hierarchical parent and child structures.

4. After you have created your object type mappings you must enable them. The import structure will not be executable until all object type mappings are set to ENABLED. If your object type mappings are not enabled, right-click on your object type mapping and click Enable to enable them.

5. Execute the import.

Have a look at the documentation, maybe you need to tweak a setting.

Bart Van Mol October 5, 2022

hi @dave , I read this documentation and applied all the steps but my use case did not work.

Is there eg. a video available with a concrete example where the steps are demonstrated for "object type mapping" since the problem is situated there in my opinion.

Eg. definitions of Threshold number, outbound reference etc are not mentioned at all. It is expected that I know this, but we are new to this product.

Also when they speak about Missing objects, it is not clear to me if my use case is possible: i.e. import CSV for a second, third time and expect that missing objects already residing in Insight get a status attribute value changed + when an update of an attribute in CSV is done, it is also done on objects in Insight. Because they use the word 'manual entry' eg.

So I am looking for a good example, somebody that demonstrates how it is done in reality (and close to my use case)

Thanks

Björn Gullander
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2022

Hi Bart,

I agree that the documentation needs updates on this matter. 

However to explain the different settings more clear:

Missing objects: What action to do if an object is not included in the import source, but exists in Insight object type. (and is matched to the Identifier(s) in the import mappings).

- Delete will remove the object and all values from any connected custom fields - do not use if you are not 100% sure that you're doing!

- Update is the safe alternative - updates a specific attribute if the object is missing.

Threshold Type and Number: This is a safety measure to avoid objects to be deleted/updated the first time it is missing. This makes it possible to let the object be missing for X number of days or X number of Synchronizations in the data source. Personally, I don't like to use this threshold because you might not see problems that arise in the a automatic synk during next coming night. 

Missing objects outbound references: If an object type attribute is missing in the import, but exist in Insight object - should it be kept or removed.

Empty values: Same as above, but for other attribute types.

Unknown values: Only valid for Select and Status attribute types. Should options be added to the attribute and object schema or not when importing. 

Björn 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events